Please help!? Shift cable/throttle cable?

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you AJ appreciate it. As much info as I can get from anyone and everyone that knows about boats is awesome. GA boater just took some pics. Bout to post. I followed the thick cable. It had me confused because it was snuck around the wiring harness which is about the same thickness going into the throttle. When I looked under n followed with my hand I untucked it and yep goes right to steering. Def want/need and going to replace that one as well.

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'll def need to order all of these things. Steering cable and throttle/shift cables. And all the walkthroughs as possible lol.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Yeah that steering cable looks pretty messed up. I am not familiar with that style, looks like it anchors at the wall of the splashwell? Every Merc steering cable I've ever seen anchors at a steering tube on the starboard side of the motor, extends through to the port side, then links back to the motor...but again, with such a narrow splashwell the style you have might be the only thing you can use. Does the steering cable have any manufacturer or part # info printed or stamped on it anywhere? Maybe someone else has seen this type before?

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm going to look to see if I can find anything on the casing right now that u mentioned it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
For the steering cable you need to stick your head under the dash and see what brand of helm is behind the dash. It's either a long rack and pinion or a round rotary system. Actually for a few bucks than a steering cable, you can get a complete new system which will be good for years, then you don't need to match new cables to the helm. I may have given this link in an earlier post - http://www.iboats.com/Boat-Steering-Systems/dm/view_id.217122 You can see the difference between the two helm types.

Your steering cable uses one of these splashwell mounting kits through the side of the splashwell.

splash_0_0.gif

Basically it is a side mounted tilt tube and it is adjustable for steering side to side movement. I think the boat maker used it because it doesn't use the motor tilt tube and link arm which can cause clearance problems with a narrow splashwell.

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So this is rotary I believe from looking at the link you sent. From the pics they look smaller. Are they all about this size? I also seen one that said quick link or something like that. Can I use that one?

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank you very much, GA boater. I'll be ordering this week for sure! Possibly today

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm sorry guys another question. I measured as best as I could the throttle/shift cable while still hooked up. Comes to 13 ft roughly, to the end of the throttle. Did I measure that right? I also measured the steering cable,only the cable though. (Not the threaded part) and got about 14 feet. Did I measure that right? Also if the cable I get is a little longer, can I loop it? I figure it can't be an extra 2 ft that would be too long I'm sure. I could be wrong though. Lol.

Donnyb83

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok I bought my new steering, shift throttle cables. Going to try to replace it tomorrow. Can someone help me out? I didn't buy from iboats cause I found mom and pop marine shop near me and they were only a couple bucks higher in price. Can someone post some links to guide me please. If not I guess I'll use a YouTube video closest to my setup.