I/o steering hard

sergiophil

Seaman
Question, the guy that's rebuilding my boat just is finishing up. Although he installed the motor and went to take a look today. I could barely move the steering wheel. It took a lot of effort. Is the motor not aligned properly? He installed a new transom and motor mounts. Any insight would be great. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Question, the guy that's rebuilding my boat just is finishing up. Although he installed the motor and went to take a look today. I could barely move the steering wheel. It took a lot of effort. Is the motor not aligned properly? He installed a new transom and motor mounts. Any insight would be great. Thanks

Something is not right.
What boat is it and what motor is installed?

alldodge

Staff member
It is a 99 bayliner capri, has the 3.0 mercruiser in it and the alpha one lower unit

Well alignment is not the issue, but something else is. If it turns easy for just a short distance in either direction then that is the hole cut out. From your statement I don't think this is the issue, I'm thinking the steering is not hooked up correctly. With it being out of the water it should turn real easy. Guessing the cable was only disconnected, and if there was no issue prior, then the reconnection was not done correctly.

Can you take some pics of the steering cable install area?

sergiophil

Seaman
Ya I have pictures of the rebuild in a different section on this site. We removed the engine and the lower unit to replace the transom. So I am kinda new to boats, so I was curious what it could be. Can the two plates cause tension and make the steering hard? It has never been like that. We disconnected it where it connects to the unit that comes through the transom. I tried pushing on that and I couldn't even move it by hand. So I will try and take some pictures tomorrow if I get up there and talk to him.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Just my first thought...does it have power steering and was the engine running? Mine has Power steering and is quite hard to turn when the engine isn't running.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I mentioned power steering. I guess I should have said hydraulic steering.

alldodge

Staff member
Ya I have pictures of the rebuild in a different section on this site. We removed the engine and the lower unit to replace the transom. So I am kinda new to boats, so I was curious what it could be. Can the two plates cause tension and make the steering hard? It has never been like that. We disconnected it where it connects to the unit that comes through the transom. I tried pushing on that and I couldn't even move it by hand. So I will try and take some pictures tomorrow if I get up there and talk to him.

If you disconnected the drive from the steering unit and it will not move, then that is the issue. If it was not disconnected then maybe not

I mentioned power steering. I guess I should have said hydraulic steering.

With hydraulic steering there is more then one line going from the helm to the transom steering rudder arm. Power steering only has a single cable going back.

The pics in your other thread show only the hull/transom without the assembly or motor. Need pics of your setup

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
With hydraulic steering there is more then one line going from the helm to the transom steering rudder arm. Power steering only has a single cable going back.

The pics in your other thread show only the hull/transom without the assembly or motor. Need pics of your setup

Ah, power steering and hydraulic steering are 2 different animals. I did not know that!

sergiophil

Seaman
I will get some pictures of the setup either tonight or tomorrow. I got the boat back to finish everything up. We got the motor running, which runs great with the carb being rebuilt and new rotor and cap. Now to the steering he states he fixed it, but while running it in his yard I turned it to the right and could hear the shaft touching the transom. Now does this mean the transom was not built right or aligned right? I got it back home so I could finish the boat, then I will give it back to him to fix the steering. Any suggestions why the shaft is rubbing against the side of the transom possible?

THanks and I will get pictures tonight or tomorrow thanks for the help guys, I will be ready when the project is done! getting close to fishing season!

Bondo

Staff member
Any suggestions why the shaft is rubbing against the side of the transom possible?

Ayuh,.... What "Shaft", hittin' the transom Where,..??

sergiophil

Seaman
I will get some pictures, and hopefully you guys can give some insight because I am not entirely sure! Pictures to come

sergiophil

Seaman
No Title

ok, got around to take some pictures. Hopefully these help understand what the issue could be. Thanks guys

Attachments

• photo261325.JPG
    photo261325.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261326.JPG
    photo261326.JPG
    146 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261327.JPG
    photo261327.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261328.JPG
    photo261328.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo261329.JPG
    photo261329.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
You have non-power steering and uses a straight cable from the helm. Pull the pin that the arrow is pointing to, there is a cotter pin on the bottom. Once the pin is pulled move the cable out of the way. Now rotate the helm and see if its easy, then grab the outdrive outside the boat and move it. Which ever one is hard to move is where the issue is

pin.jpg

sergiophil

Seaman
Great I appreciate the quick response. I have pulled the pin and tried to move the piece that the cable attaches too. I can barely move that piece that comes in through the transom. I can move the outdrive on the back of the boat, but it does not move that well. So I would assume it is binding somewhere on the transom possible or the motor is not aligned properly?

alldodge

Staff member
With the pin removed you should be able to move the steering wheel easy.

If the outdrive can not be moved easy, then suggest you contact the transom guy, something may be wrong