1970 stamas 21'steering

Charkate

Seaman Apprentice
Hey guys OK I got the boat in the water its first since I got it . First the steering stopped wheel turns piston goes in and out buy notice a big brass but off the piston put it on and wheel didn't turn at all. Had to disconnect and steer by hand with friend telling me what direction to go. It is a mercruiser out drive. Also in neutral I can throttle up put in gear it just stays at idle can't throttle up. Help me again please. Jim

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... It sounds like yer steerin' cable is seized, 'n yer trottle only button in the control is stickin',....

Charkate

Seaman Apprentice
21'stamas steering

My steering seams to be frozen. It was sitting for awhile without being operated every so often. Is the cable frozen or the tube. It's an in/out board. Can i lube it up somehow or do i need a new cable.

alldodge

Staff member
Come on Charkate, how about letting us know a tad more of what your working on. Full hydraulic, power, cable or non-power steering?

Charkate

Seaman Apprentice
i know it has one cable and a piston on the transom, i don't see a reservoir for fluid

jbcurt00

Staff member
Merged topics

Please dont start multiple topics about the same problem. Only makes it harder for those looking to help, to help

Charkate

Seaman Apprentice
Im just getting started on this forum, I apologize if i do it wrong. Thanks for the imput. I try to learn from my mistakes