steering cables

tomcat50

Cadet
Was wondering what to do. I have a 1994 cajun fish and ski the steering is hard to steer tried to lube cables helped some. Decided to replace cables what should I do replace the whole system including steering under the dash or just cables.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Disconnect the steering cable from the link arm and see if the motor turns easily from side to side and if the steering is still stiff. Most likely it is the cable/helm, but it's worth checking first.

For only a few bucks more you can buy a complete helm kit with a cable. That's the direction I would lean if cables are 23 years old and need replacing.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
My vote would also be for a complete system. Less hassle than trying to find the right replacement cables and barely costs anything more.

tomcat50

Cadet
thats what i was thinking been fighting it for 3 or 4 years. how do you know what length you need. Heard to different ways measure black part of cable add 30 inches or measure from steering wheel to gun wall then from there to back to back of boat then over to motor

tomcat50

Cadet
Did some checking to today. I have rack and pinion The boat place i talked to said they been changing everything to rotary. Was wondering people opinions on the two chould i stay with rack and pinion or go to rotary their about the same price.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I put a brand new rack in my 16' and a brand new rotary in my 18'. In my opinion the rotary had less slop to it. I would go rotary. Now I can see how a rack would be a little tougher having a big giant gear in it as opposed to a thin tooth thingie but I do like my rotary.