warm up lever problems 73 Johnson 115HP

maybe368

Seaman
I replaced my control cables, shift and warm up, and I am having a bit of trouble adjusting the warm up cable. Also, When the lever is all the way up, it won't crank.. If I lower it about 1/2" it starts. Also, I have an original service manual and I followed the adjustment procedure in the manual, but the problem is that mine doesn't seem to "act" like the manual says that it should. When I put it in reverse until there is some shifter movement, I adjust the cable until the hole is slightly aft of the pin, then I put it into forward, untl the shifter moves a bit, the hole in the cable is supposed to be just forward of the pin, but it is way off. What am I missing? Thanks in advance guys...Mark

Last edited:

maybe368

Seaman
Ok, I may as well put this to bed. I got the cables adjusted correctly (I think) and I figured out why it won't crank when the lever is all the way up, the neutral safety switch falls off the tab on the throttle arm. It seems that the arm is slightly out of adjustment. In neutral, the arrow is slightly below center. I am going to study the manual to see what my options are. Any suggestions are welcome...Mark