Hard steering

ride1080

Cadet
We have a 03 Bayliner with a 3.0 Merc. About halfway through the summer, the boat became extremely hard to turn to the right when on plane. To the point of having to use two hands to try to get it to move to the right. I understand it can be hard to turn a boat on plane, but it has never been and shouldn't be this hard.

My dad did hit something in the lake prior to this and tweeked the prop. He had it rebuilt and installed it back on. The steering is fine at slow speeds or when this engine is off. The problem only comes after it's on plane. I'm think it could be the trim tab was knocked out of position as well. No power steering, so that isn't the issue.

What would be some ways to troubleshoot it? I'm going to move the trim tab to the left a bit to see if that helps, but how can I tell if the prop is in good shape? What else could be the issue?

ride1080

Cadet
I should add, there is no issue turning to the left at any speed, just the right on plane.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
does it turn easy with the engine off and sitting on a trailer?

most likely the trim tab just above/behind the prop needs adjustment

ride1080

Cadet
Thank you both for the replies.

The skeg is still there and in good shape.

It turns fine with no bind at all either way while sitting on the trailer. Besides the trim tab, is there anything else that could be the cause of this? I'm going to mess with it this weekend when the weather warms up a bit and see what I can't figure out.

alldodge

Staff member
Is the power steering fluid at the correct level, and is there any foaming going when running?

ride1080

Cadet
Thanks for the replies. I'll adjust the trim tab this weekend and update the results. I also talked to my dad about the prop being rebuilt. Sounds like he found a "craigslist special" to do the repair. I'm wondering if it's just a bad repair on the prop causing torque in a way that wasn't there before the hit. Thanks again!

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,... Yes, the prop could be the problem, try another one,....