Steering without through motor tube on pontoon.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I am planning on rigging my pontoon with a 1972 65 hp Johnson. This motor is old enough that it does not have the ability to run the tilt tube through the motor mount, as it is on newer outboards.

How would you recommend setting this up? I was already planning on ordering a new rotary steering kit, but will need some kind of tube and mount. I was thinking the "transom" style mount would be the easiest, but since the space on the toon transom is limited, I worry about the steering ram hitting the side. Also considering a splashwell kind of mount.

Here's a picture of my transom. I know that a lot of it will depend on where the motor sits once I get her rigged. So, what do the experts here recommend?

1_zpspwbfj3oi.jpg

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Sell motor, get motor with tilt tube

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
The part you need to search for is called "outboard clamp block". That'll get you what you need,

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Messed up adding the picture above. Anyway this is how the clamp block is rigged.

Attachments

• photo258567.jpg
    photo258567.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Messed up adding the picture above. Anyway this is how the clamp block is rigged.

Awesome! Just finding the correct names for some of these parts can be a major PITA! I think I could rig up something like that and make it work, even if I had to notch the splashwell a bit to allow room for the ram.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I wouldn't notch the motor well without welding reinforcement for the notch.

The narrow motor well may cause issues trying to use a non-tilt tube motor and adapters. EZ's clamp block may work, but I think it's more for full transom boats.

Another possible solution is this type of steering adapter;

clampblock.PNG

This adds a tilt tube and bolts to the motor mounting bolts. The adapter ends up a little lower than where a motor built-in tilt tube would be. Again, the narrow motor well could be an issue. The pic is from the iBoats store - http://www.iboats.com/Front-Mount-S...95108747--session_id.664573691--view_id.40159 The store may have other models available.

Hope you find what you need to turn your toon.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
I wouldn't notch the motor well without welding reinforcement for the notch.

The narrow motor well may cause issues trying to use a non-tilt tube motor and adapters. EZ's clamp block may work, but I think it's more for full transom boats.

Another possible solution is this type of steering adapter;

This adds a tilt tube and bolts to the motor mounting bolts. The adapter ends up a little lower than where a motor built-in tilt tube would be. Again, the narrow motor well could be an issue. The pic is from the iBoats store - http://www.iboats.com/Front-Mount-St...-view_id.40159 The store may have other models available.

Hope you find what you need to turn your toon.

I think something like that could work pretty well. If I was to cut say a 2" hole in the splashwell to allow the ram and arm to pass through, and then have my buddy weld another aluminum plate on with the same hole cut for reinforcement, do you think that would be enough support? Per what I've found, that 65 only weighs 140 lbs, so it's no where near as heavy as a modern 4 stroke.

EDIT: Upon reading the reviews of that, and what you get for what you pay, I might just buy a genreric tube, and have my buddy fab me brackets that would fit. I think it will all depend on where the motor sits once it's bolted up.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Only cut a hole are large as needed. Weld reinforcement on both sides. Steering isn't a thing to mess with.

One more option for you to look at and it would fit through the side of the motor well. This is a Teleflex # SA27254P 90 DEGREE SPLASHWELL KIT.

splashkit.PNG splashinstalled.PNG

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Only cut a hole are large as needed. Weld reinforcement on both sides. Steering isn't a thing to mess with.

One more option for you to look at and it would fit through the side of the motor well. This is a Teleflex # SA27254P 90 DEGREE SPLASHWELL KIT.

If I could get that to fit directly in line with where the steering attaches on the motor, that would eliminate the need for an "arm link", and would probably solve the issue with the ram taking up too much space.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
Just had an idea, and this seems way easy, and way cheap, so it probably won't work. Does anyone know the compatibility of transom brackets between different years of Johnson motors? Cause I did a bit of looking, and I can buy a through bracket steering style transom bracket from a later motor for way less than I could get the splashwell or similar mount for.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Post that question in the J/E section and I bet someone knows. If I had to guess I'd say it's probably pretty doable.

hvymtl939

Chief Petty Officer
So, I've just been offered a 1966 Merc 1100 110 hp for my motor. Has tilt and trim, comes with controls, and has through motor steering. But no spark. Guy says it has spark at the distributor, but not the plugs. Said his boat is only rated for 75, so it would be an even trade. Good idea or no?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Parts support is no where near as good for old Mercs as it is for old J/E motors. Plus the wiring is almost always bad. I would not do it. That 110 is way more complicated than your Johnson in my opinion also (I think it's a 6 cylinder?). Pass.