Loop outboard control cables on my small center console?

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Working on cleaning up the rigging on my 17' center console. I've always been told that the control cables should loop at the motor end, for freest movement. But, on this new-to-me center console (and on any CC I've seen) they do NOT loop, they use the most direct connection possible.

On my boat, this means that when the wheel is all the way left, I get a spot with a bend radius of about 10.5 to 11 inches. Thing is, the motor well is kind of narrow on this hull; and after measuring A LOT, it seems to me that if I did loop, then it'd still have to have something like a 10-11" bend radius with the wheel turned all the way to the right. Cables on it now are your typical 16" bend radius specification, and I do believe they are binding some.

SO, is it standard practice to NOT loop on a center console? Every other boat I've had before had plenty of splashwell to contain the loop. And I could see how having a loop on the deck of a CC would be a major trip / foot-trapping hazard.

Any reason I'm overlooking that I SHOULD loop?

I know there are upgrade control cables that specify bend radius as little as 8", I am thinking about going with those, whether in the current length or long enough to loop.

Attachments

• photo257621.jpg
    photo257621.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 1
  • photo257622.jpg
    photo257622.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
I have not heard or seen any with a loop.

Getting off your topic but I'm thinking the fuel filter may cause some issues with being so high.

alldodge

Staff member
At what height should it be?

Most of those filters work best and pose the least load on the pump if they are at or a bit below the tank. I would think about placing it below the cover in front of the motor and only bring the line up.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
That's odd, I recall reading that they are supposed to be installed higher than the tank. Probably a safety thing.

Has not yet been a problem, and the very same kind of placement was not an issue for years on my old boat.

alldodge

Staff member
Reckon you should pay no attention to an inboard and I/O guy. We have issues running anything below the pump, but then again we are using mostly electric fuel pumps. Pickup two boats with fronds last year, one pontoon with an outboard and one I/O and both had the filter down low. Just one of things I have always looked for

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
OK, so the plan is to replace the existing TFX CC17916 cables with CCX17916 cables (same length, smaller bend radius), and to NOT loop. Probably this summer.