Steering locking up

Bronzer

Cadet
I have a 2004 Skeeter SX190 with a 150 Yamaha and I'm having steering problems. Sometimes, when I turn right, the steering wheel locks or catches and won't turn. It's not like it is hard to turn, it won't turn at all. I can turn the wheel back to the left and then yank it to the right and it will break free and turn fine in both directions. It doesn't do this every time I turn, but it does it most of the time. This boat had cable steering. Do I need to replace the cables??

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

You said it "HAD" cable steering, but I'm guessing it still does right?

Does it lock when doing a hard turn or just a small amount?
Do the cables stay tight when your turning?
Does it lock when the motor is not in gear?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Steerin' cables are generally sold as a Helm, 'n Cable Kit,.....

I'm thinkin' you need the entire Kit, as the lock-up yer experiencin' sounds like a bad helm, rather than bad cable,....
If the teeth in the helm are worn or broken, would explain the issue yer havin',.....

Bronzer

Cadet
It has cable steering. It doesn't do it all the time, but when it catches, it locks whether it's a hard turn or small turn. When it locks, it doesn't get tight...it will not turn at all. I have to turn the wheel back to the left and do a back and forth movement to get it to unlock. I don't recall it ever locking when the motor was not in gear, but I haven't tried to see if it will do it when I'm not running. I'll try that this afternoon.

danintruder

Seaman
maybe but some are different from older ones like teleflex ,i replaced a double cable steering kit last summer and it said that it didn't work with older cables or older cables woud not work with the new helm ,and one plus is the new one has a clutch in the helm that cancels almost all steering torque.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Thanks for the input. Could I just replace the helm and not the cables?

Ayuh,..... Anything is possible,.... But,.....

When one is worn out, odds are the other is as well,....
Hence the pricin' of 'em,....
A cable alone is fairly expensive,....
A helm alone is fairly expensive,....
Buy the Kit,... 'n the combined price is a reasonably cheap deal,.....

Bronzer

Cadet
I thank all of you for responding. Is this something that I could do myself or would I need to take it somewhere and have it done?

alldodge

Staff member
You can replace, its not that hard to do. Hardest part is just the fact its a boat, getting to things is the worst part

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I thank all of you for responding. Is this something that I could do myself or would I need to take it somewhere and have it done?

You can do it yourself.

Worst case is, depending on the splashwell design, the motor might need to be moved to one side in order to remove the cable from the tilt tube and insert the new one.

After getting the cable free of the tilt tube and before pulling the old cable out of the boat, tie some heavy cord or twine on the end of the old cable. Use the cord/twine to pull the new cable through the hull to the new helm or splashwell.