Petty Officer 2nd Class
This was brand new in march of 15.

Attachments

• photo257545.jpg
    photo257545.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 0

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Looks like a stress crack with some fairly decent corrosion?

Which part is this, exactly? Can you show me on the gimbal ring?

Salt water? Moored? I've removed my gimbal a few times, my bolts look brand new? My guess is improperly installed?

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looks like a stress crack with some fairly decent corrosion?

Which part is this, exactly? Can you show me on the gimbal ring?

Salt water? Moored? I've removed my gimbal a few times, my bolts look brand new? My guess is improperly installed?

Alpha one gen II torqued to 50 ft/lbs last march. It's in salt water but I flush and rinse with salt away after every ride. It came right out of a brand new sierra bag but obviously it's not the right nut as it's cheap **** chinese steal. Couldn't tell when it was new because it looked like it has a nice zinc on it. I put a 3/8 fine thread SS lock nut on just now like what should have been in the bag in the first place.

Has nothing to do with improper install. Cheap **** metal plain and simple and my stupidity for not using the plethora of stainless I've accumulated over the years.

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
Alpha one gen II torqued to 50 ft/lbs last march. It's in salt water but I flush and rinse with salt away after every ride. It came right out of a brand new sierra bag but obviously it's not the right nut as it's cheap **** chinese steal. Couldn't tell when it was new because it looked like it has a nice zinc on it. I put a 3/8 fine thread SS lock nut on just now like what should have been in the bag in the first place.

Has nothing to do with improper install. Cheap **** metal plain and simple and my stupidity for not using the plethora of stainless I've accumulated over the years.

Good Deal...I'm not real familiar with the Mercury out-drives/transom assemblies. And the Salt water is something I don't deal with here in Colorado. I will say, I've seen corrosion on salt water vessels just destroy stainless just as fast...I assume you have the proper anodes? Good thing you checked...I can't say I've ever given my gimbal ring a second look other than my annual maintenance?

I think you've answered your own question...Sierra.

imp0ster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
yup lol. Yes I've pretty much rebuilt the entire boat. Gimbal ring, anode kit and leads, bolts, hoses, steering arm and SS pin are all new as of march last year.

My father rebuilds damaged race boats. He laughed when he saw it. The entire gimbal ring idea is a complete joke.

If you look at my build thread you'll see what I've gone through but we have a 24-something Baja Islander up the yard with hydraulic steering and a needs-to-be-rebuilt 496 I'm seriously thinking about working out a deal on.