Mercruiser steering actuator replacement Crownline

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
One more question, the power steering pump, I need to replace it. It?s 19 years old. Going to have boat in a million parts anyway. Not wanting to spend $450 for a pump. What?s a good part number that will replace it non mercruiser version?

alldodge

Staff member
The O-ring in the Y pipe would have nothing to do with loosing PS fluid. If you get a water leak only while the motor is running, I would think the Y pipe may have a crack or hole up higher. If it was down lower where it connects, it would leak all the time

Drive showers are good if there is enough power and/or your running long distances. Don't think doing anything to the original gears will help, just my opinion. Just be easy taking off, don't drop the hammer, either that or switch to a Bravo drive

The PS pump for a car is the same, but the pressure valve which screws into the back and the one line attaches to is what makes the difference. Keep the old one and use the new pump

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think oil cooler is cracked. Pump, hoses and actuator is dry. If oil leaks into water then it follows to exhaust. I had several people try and find water leak in boat. Paid guy to lift boat off trailer and look. Nothing. But boat must have bilge pump running. I pulled fuse. Ran up and down river. Had a foot of water in the boat in no time. Normally it takes a few minutes to empty hull on boat ramp. New out drive, all new hoses. No cracks. Boat hull looks amazingly new. Boat sits in river all day, all day. Pull it out dry.
But start the engine, not one drop of water dripping. Shoot down the river. It?s flooded. I have people hanging over the bow looking for water hitting the rub rail. Nope. I hear rub rail horror stories regarding flooding. Maybe so. Not in this case. Power steering Oil leaks from cooler into engine out exhaust into boat. My best guess.

Last edited:

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyway. Put new actuator in boat. Hoses are dry. Bilge full of oil. I gutted entire boat. Glassed and bilge painted deck and bilge. Looks amazing. But full of water and red power steering fluid. Reservoir empties in about 45 minutes.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Shoot down the river. It?s flooded

But full of water and red power steering fluid. Reservoir empties in about 45 minutes.

I think oil cooler is cracked

I think your right, the only issue which is puzzling, is oil in the bilge only when running. There is only a tube which winds through and is contained inside the cooler. So if the shell of the cooler is cracked I can see water coming in, and it may be small enough that it only shows up as rpms increase due to pressure.

If there was a PS fluid leak it would leak even if just at idle due to the high pressure. With the motor running turn the helm to back n forth. Every time the helm is turned the pressure increases as it turns

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I didn?t explain very well. I get oil and water in the bilge but only when running. Idle doesn?t seen to produce oil or water in the bilge

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think inner cooling tube, not outer tube is cracked. I have 2 issues, I think return water from exhaust and power steering leak. Water leak inside boat has had me confused for 5 years. Lots of boat owners and one boat repair shop have tried to find leak. Now I have PS leak. Can’t find that either. My 1999 Crownline looks new inside. I say that because I see pictures of other boats and wonder how they find any issues. I scrub and paint everything. I use iphone. Mirrors. Can’t find either issue.

alldodge

Staff member
If the cooler was cracked internally the oil would go out the exhaust not into the bilge. Having it empty the PS unit in 45 minutes would seem to me to be an easy find, but would require some else looking while the boat is on plane

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
It would go out the exhaust, yes. Except I have 2 issues, 1) boat has water coming in it since I bought it. Can?t find it. Paid to have boat repair shop find hole in Hull. No hole. Had just about everybody I know look for leak. Boat sits in water all day, nothing. Only when I drive it. 2) last year power steering leak. Replaced actuator. Hoses dry, pump dry. I looked, had friends look. Used camera phone. No leak. So I read posts, one of the high ranking people suggested to one guy. Exhaust leak combined with power steering leak. Exhaust leak tied to Y pipe.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... If the y-pipe is leakin', yer boat will sink at the dock, without the motor runnin',....

If the P/S cooler is cracked from freezin', it could be yer problem,....

ibrw1

Petty Officer 1st Class
Excellent suggestion, Cooler, can?t hurt to yank it out, 18 years old. so I will pull it this weekend. So the pump seems weak, I?m guessing abuse using boat with the leak has done some damage. Get new pump. Actuator is new. Old one Was covered with oil. So it?s replaced. Should put all new hoses on it too. Be done with it. I have a 18000 boat that?s worth about 6000, so I?m way ahead! Thanks for the advice.