Aristocraft 19 Frozen Steering Tube

svenszen

Cadet
Hi, I've just purchased a 73' Aristocraft 19 and the steering is frozen at the stern. The steering is working from the helm to the point where the "Ram" enters the steering support tube. On the port side I've disconnected the "tiller arm" which spins freely but what is left in the tube is frozen pretty good even after PB blaster and some wrapping with a hammer.

​Question is, if the steering side is free and the tiller side is frozen does that mean the ram has broken inside? And if that's the case, assuming I can't get the frozen portion freed how difficult is it to replace the stern portion of the steering. It looks like to me the stern drive would have to be dropped.

​Thanks for any help out there.

Attachments

• ARISTOCRAFT 19 STEERING.pdf
    245.3 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Question is, if the steering side is free and the tiller side is frozen does that mean the ram has broken inside? And if that's the case, assuming I can't get the frozen portion freed how difficult is it to replace the stern portion of the steering. It looks like to me the stern drive would have to be dropped.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... It means the cable end is frozen, corroded, rusted inside the aluminum steerin' tube, due to lack of grease,....

Just pull the aluminum tube from the inside transom plate, 'n free the cable, or more likely, replace the tube,....

svenszen

Cadet
Thanks for the response. Is that aluminum tube released by loosening the 2 large nuts with the rubber bushing in between?

svenszen

Cadet
Anyone know how to separate the steering cable from the notched tube in the steering tube on a 19' Aristocraft? I've attached an exhibit. Thanks

Attachments

• STEERING HELM.pdf
    399.1 KB · Views: 0

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Take the whole helm out, 'n put back a helm, 'n cable Kit,.....