trim button conversion

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know I found something before but of course now can't find it so here it goes.

​1976 Evinrude with the power pilot controls, trim/tilt switch on the dash.
​I was hoping to convert this having the button on the control handle. If I am remembering what I read earlier all I would need is a newer control lever with the trim button to do this.
​I also plan to convert the solenoid to the double relay setup especially since the junction box is gone with only the solenoid remaining.

​Any thoughts on this would be great!

Thank you

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
ezmobee there is a replacement handle available that includes the switch. About $70. Part number 0176530.

Until I get around to replacing mine I mounted a small toggle on a piece of aluminum trim & stuck it where the old switch was:

1473567094.jpg[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
ezmobee there is a replacement handle available that includes the switch. About $70. Part number 0176530.

Until I get around to replacing mine I mounted a small toggle on a piece of aluminum trim & stuck it where the old switch was:

1473567094.jpg[FONT=Arial][FONT=Arial]

Will that handle fit my control box?
Are the handles pretty interchangeable or should I try to find something close to the same year?

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
I don't know what control you have--I took your post as saying you were looking to change remotes so you could have the trim on the handle. I think that replacement handle fits Evinrude/Johnson side-mount remotes from late '90's to the present.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I kinda doubt that handle would fit your controls as the pre-1980ish control box was totally different. However if you had a 1980ish or newer box without a trim switch, I'd bet it would be pretty simple to switch out the handle with the one linked. I can attest that the trim switch and wiring is totally in the handle itself and not in or through the box at all so it should be a simple swap. It certainly is possible that the handles from the newer boxes are interchangeable with the older ones but I wouldn't bet on it.

Parrothead71

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well thanks to eBay I found a NOS aftermarket trim switch that mounts directly to my control handle, I have the power pilot control by the way.