frozen/stuck steering wheel 95 force 120hp

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
hi? force 120hp outboard, steering is frozen. i disconnected the rod/arm from the engine and engine moves freely. i removed the bolt that connect the rod to the steering rod and also remove the nut that connect steering to engine transom. silver nut. nut is part of the steering cable. after few tap with penetrating oil, rod moves freely in and out . steering still stuck or stiff. it seems to me like the steering cable is not going in and out of the steering cable black outer rubber or steering wheel cannot pull in and push out the steering cable. when i apply pressure to turn the steering wheel, i hear sounds.

pls help. what am i suppose to do to get steering cable to move in and out? the rod moves in and out of transom.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If you hear sounds when cranking on the wheel, the steering helm box or rack is probably busted. Time for a steering kit - New box or rack and cable. A kit is cheaper than buying a cable and then finding out you need a helm.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
after walking on the transom areas. i put the steering back together. when i turned the steering wheel to the left. sitting in front of the steering wheel. turned to the left the wheel moved the boat an out quarter inch. but when i turn wheel toward the right it doesn't move the boat. now the engine is complete turned to the left when standing in front of the engine.

rzkas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
update, i tried to pry the rod by tapping/hamming it out from the left side if standing facing the engine. i got the steering to come out some. with little that came out , the steering wheel is able to pull in steering rod but cannot push it out.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... You need a new helm, 'n cable kit,....

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
Steering cables are a wear item. Not at all unusual to need periodic replacement. Yours is shot for sure. Whole kit is similar in price to just a cable. I'd replace the whole shebang.