135 johnson steering cable

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just bought a 75 starcraft supersport 18 with a 135 johnson that looks very clean by the way. But one issue i see already is that the steering cable is missing, there is just a rod hanging off the motor with a hole in it, and it looks as if all the mechanics are missing out of the steering wheel. I guess my question is... what do i do here?? This is the first boat/ motor i have ever worked on without the old fashioned cable/ pully steering system

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hi, Derek;

It's probably best to just replace the steering system with a new kit. The cable will connect to the steering link,

Do you have or did have a rotary or rack & pinion system? Take a look at the different systems and a new kit is only a few bucks more than the cable by it self.

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi, Derek;

It's probably best to just replace the steering system with a new kit. The cable will connect to the steering link,

Do you have or did have a rotary or rack & pinion system? Take a look at the different systems and a new kit is only a few bucks more than the cable by it self.

I'm not sure what was there, literally all that is left is the steering wheel, what would you think is a better system? I'm considering replacing the wheel and cable and all if i can for a reasonable price

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The steering wheel will fit on the new steering - 3/4" tapered shaft is pretty universal.

There must be something keeping the wheel from falling off. Can you get a photo of the backside of the dash?

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The steering wheel will fit on the new steering - 3/4" tapered shaft is pretty universal.

There must be something keeping the wheel from falling off. Can you get a photo of the backside of the dash?

Sure thing I'll rry to get one tomorrow

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I keep having trouble posting photos to iboats, but what i can explain is on the other side of the steering wheel is a black box that the steering wheel shaft goes through and on the other side of the box is the shaft with a washer that sticks out maybe a 1/4"

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
what would you think is a better system? I'm considering replacing the wheel and cable and all if i can for a reasonable price

I put a new Teleflex rack system in my Starcraft Jupiter. I put a new Uflex rotary system in my SS. I personally found the rotary to have less slop in it. You should have room for either type behind the dash of your SS.

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I put a new Teleflex rack system in my Starcraft Jupiter. I put a new Uflex rotary system in my SS. I personally found the rotary to have less slop in it. You should have room for either type behind the dash of your SS.

I looked a little further and I found that the box is open on the top and it feels like a splined shaft so something must get mounted on the top of it and its held down by 4 bolts. Also thats a real nice boat tou have there and a great motor to boot, do you remember how long your steering cable was that you ordered for your SS 18? Or could someone tell me how to properly measure for a new cable because i don't have the old one for a refrence

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I looked a little further and I found that the box is open on the top and it feels like a splined shaft so something must get mounted on the top of it and its held down by 4 bolts. Also thats a real nice boat tou have there and a great motor to boot, do you remember how long your steering cable was that you ordered for your SS 18? Or could someone tell me how to properly measure for a new cable because i don't have the old one for a refrence

Sounds like you have the helm part for a rack system.

Unfortunately not. I only know that it's about a foot shorter than it should be! :embarassed:

derek4325

Petty Officer 2nd Class
So i ordered a new steering kit rack and pinon style, i heard that these are somewhat better than the rotor system, but who knows, everyone has their preferences, i didn't spring for a non feedback system though ao I'm not sure how this will respond, i have a feeling it will pull some but i just hope not so much where it dislocates my shoulder :) we wont find out until spring though, i think i ordered the right length cable, as soon as i put it on the boat i will post a new thread for this boat so others can use it as a refrence..... cheers!

Bondo

Staff member
So i ordered a new steering kit rack and pinon style, i heard that these are somewhat better than the rotor system, but who knows, everyone has their preferences,

Ayuh,..... It generally comes down to which helm will fit under the dash,...