Mercury 200 efi kicking into gear twice

Joe5688

Cadet
So I just spent a week in canada fishing. After about the 3rd day my merc started to kick a second time like it was going into gear again when I would ease into the throttle. When I shift into forward it clunks like normal going into gear. I can idle fine but as soon as I start to accelerate it'll kick again almost like it wasn't in gear. I pay attention to the prop and I don't notice it pop out of gear be befote it does it. The 6th day it started doing it a few times. Anyone have any ideas? Only thing I can think of is the shift linkage is a little off and it's sliding out of gear and re engaging again instantly.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
So I just spent a week in canada fishing. After about the 3rd day my merc started to kick a second time like it was going into gear again Anyone have any ideas?
It's probably just kicking up its heels cuz it's so happy just to be here. :llama: :canada: - Grandad

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
So I just spent a week in canada fishing. After about the 3rd day my merc started to kick a second time like it was going into gear again when I would ease into the throttle. When I shift into forward it clunks like normal going into gear. I can idle fine but as soon as I start to accelerate it'll kick again almost like it wasn't in gear. I pay attention to the prop and I don't notice it pop out of gear be befote it does it. The 6th day it started doing it a few times. Anyone have any ideas? Only thing I can think of is the shift linkage is a little off and it's sliding out of gear and re engaging again instantly.
The more you let it do that the more it will cost you to fix.

Joe5688

Cadet
So i tried to duplicate my issue in the driveway at home and it appears to only do it under load in the water. I took some pix of the shift linkage and it looks like it's adjustable.

jq5p5d.jpg

2dqmsuf.jpg

24vlnk7.jpg