Transom tube or Tilt tube

seanak 43

Cadet
I am re-doing a 1975 Springbok Runabout. The original set-up has a steering tube attached to the splashwell, I assume that the original motor did not have a tilt tube. Previous owner upgraded to a 1997 Johnson 40 hp long shaft motor, power tilt and trim. I'm wondering if there would be any advantage to getting the proper steering link for the engine and running the cable through the engine's tilt tube. I think I have plenty of cable length and I could fill an extra hole in the splashwell while I'm doing the restoration. Would it make any other difference, in steering feel or otherwise? The tube runs through a steel plate bolted to the spashwell with kind of a ball joint to allow movement/tilt. Plate is quite rusty from exposure but could be cleaned up. Is it worth the effort and cost to change it to a more modern set-up?

As long as the steering cable doesn't bind up it should be fine an clean up the transom area too. Looks like quite a bend from where the steering cable comes out to where the trim/tilt tube is. Don't forget to pick up a steering linkage too.