Finding pulley for saginaw steering pump

alldodge

Staff member
or turn the holes into slots with a small rat-tail file.

That's a great idea, the center hub will keep the pulley centered, so just increase the hole on one side.

The thing I think about is, the pump is old and wonder what caused the pulley to come loose to begin with. If the pump has an issue the new pulley may also have an issue. A new pump would cost and come with the new style pulley

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
AllDodge, a Mercruiser pump and pulley (while the same Saginaw pump, different pulley spacing location) wouldnt work with the brackets and pulley arrangement of the AQ series motors wihtout custom making a bracket. The new Volvo pump comes with the hub adapter (turning a $57 pump into a $600 pump) and does not come with the pulley

my guess the belt tension was too tight fatiguing the pulley

if a new pump is required, I recommend just getting the saginaw rebuild kit for about $10

loco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeap - belt tension was too tight.
These engines have a horrible habit of squeeling belts, so it's always tempting to add a little more tension, but obviously I added too much! The pump feels smooth as anything, and when we were out at sea when the pulley failed, I used a load of washers to get us home, and there was no problem with the steering the whole way back (30 minute cruise). I expect a broken pump/bearing would sound horrendous and have slop.

There's a pump and pulley on ebay. Doesn't look amazing, but the pulley is in tact.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the belt squeal is from the belt wearing down (usually rusty pulleys eating at the belt). new belts every spring takes care of that issue along with a bit of sanding paper and spray paint.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I usually put on 300 hours worth of boating in a good year. for most people that is 6 years of boating. At the end of the season there is a fair amount of belt wear.

$25 worth of belts is cheep insurance. the prior belts are hung over the trim pump in the bilge for spares if needed.

alldodge

Staff member
Wow 300 a season, guess you rebuild the motor every 6 to 7 years.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
No, usually sell the boat after about 3-4 seasons.

however current boat getting the BBC to replace the AQ271C

loco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

This is the part number of the bracket holding on the power steering pump on an ebay listing. Does anyone recognise the 'S' logo on it? I'm hoping that finding where the bracket came from in the GM world, that it might help me find whatever power steering or water pump pulley Volvo used for this engine:

Attachments

• photo255949.png
    photo255949.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Staff member
its a volvo penta only bracket. never existed in the automotive world. that is the stamp from a foundry in spain

Fed

Commander
I'd weld it up & drill new holes in the undrilled spaces, measure the alignment & make a plate if necessary and fit a new 'A' section belt (12.7mm).

loco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Just for others who may find themselves in the same predicament, I ended up finding a new one from an italian volvo supplier. It cost an eye-watering ?180!
www.vela-srl.com

alldodge

Staff member
Ouch, let it never be said that VP is not real proud of their parts