Finding pulley for saginaw steering pump

loco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi all,
I had a pulley come loose and get badly damaged. Seems I have a saginaw pump with a four-bolt hub on it, with a pulley that bolts to it, which has a 2-inch offset, that brings the pulley valley very close to the pump itself.
So, pulley depth is 2", and the diameter is 6 1/8". It takes a 12.5mm belt.

any help locating a replacement, or an alternative that I could use. I think I need to buy a special tool to pull the hub and put another pulley on.

As always, massive thanks for your help in advance.

Attachments

• photo251586.JPG
    photo251586.JPG
    126.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251587.JPG
    photo251587.JPG
    189.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251588.JPG
    photo251588.JPG
    340.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251589.JPG
    photo251589.JPG
    339.1 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251590.jpg
    photo251590.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo251591.JPG
    photo251591.JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the saginaw pump was found on nearly every GM vehicle from 1960's on. (including Triumphs, volvos, jags, rolls, holdens, etc.)

any parts store will have the pump tool to loan (or buy for about $30)

post your serial number of your mercruiser and someone will be along with the correct part number of the pulley.

alldodge

Staff member
Probably could use the type and year of the motor. It might be easier to just replace with the newer style.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... That looks more like a water pump pulley than a P/S pump pulley,....

loco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yeah sorry, I totally forgot to give a history of the engine. The current engine is from repower marine, but is just based on the classic GM 4.3L V6 vortex. During the transplant, the anciliaries, barackets, pullies, etc. all came from the previous engine, which was a Penta AQ205A.

The sites I usually find part numbers from just have 'out of production' for the pulley, with no number or alternative part.

It does look a bit like the water pump pulley... I've found similar, but with different hubs. Obviously a direct bolt-on replacement would be easiest, and could be done with the pump in situ.

Just to make life tricker, I'm based in the UK, so a euro supplier would be a bonus!

Thanks again, everyone.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
The damage to your pulley looks like someone used washers to space the pulley out a bit vs the big spacer that goes under.

Not sure if VP used their own pulleys or dug around the GM parts bin. I have all my accessories in a box in a garage and will be glad to look this weekend if there is a GM part number on them. I do remember a spacer, either under the PS pulley or under the pulley on the waterpump driving the PS.

going to suggest looking on ebay. plenty o fAQ205, 231, 271's being stripped.

look up the part number on volvopentastore.com and then do a google search for the part number under the steering section. I found P/N 855353.

Bondo, you are correct, looks like a pulley for a GM long water pump that is being used on the PS pump. In a pinch, I would start going thru the salvage yards looking at waterpump pulleys from cars from the 80's

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That is some "rigged up" system there. The usual pump setup used in tons of vehicles looks like this.

images

Notice there are no bolts holding the pulley on. JMHO

loco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks all.

Yeah, it seems like an unusual setup of that pump for sure. That said, there's an ebay listing for a similar model, and it appears to have the hub on the Volvo schematics, so I think it was a Volvo product rather than something a previous owner threw together. The ebay unit looks super tired, though, and would need sand blasting & powdercoating, so would be much more expensive than just finding a suitable new pulley:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SBC-CHEVY-...gAAOSwdzVXu4qz

If I could get the measurement of the pulley valley to the pump in the above example with the press-on pulley, I could compare it to my setup and see if I could make it work. I've seen other places that there was a version of the pump with a threaded shaft, too.

I also found the below billet aluminium model, which looks close, but again, if it isn't 2" deep, then it's not going to work in my application.

http://www.mooreperformance.info/Pulleypowersteeringpump.html

Finally, I was thinking I could even get a whole set of new pulleys and mounting bracket for the pump, maybe even some bling shiny ones, but the money would be better spent elsewhere on the boat.

Scott - a part number would be appreciated if it differs tot he one you found above! I'll do some more googling and see if the PN yields any good result.

Cheers

gm280

Supreme Mariner
loco, If yo could find a pump with the pulley already installed like sown above, maybe you could adjust the mounting setup to make it work. If the pulley lines up so the belt runs true, it would matter. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Staff member
the setup in the pictures is stock volvo. matches mine, except the color and my pulley isnt broken.

loco, there is no other bracket arrangement unless you make your own or use the mercuiser setup. its a VP exclusive. the flat pulley used on the mercruiser wont work, and every car out there after 1968 comes with a long water pump from the factory.

remember, boats use short water pumps, and for packaging reasons, each marinizing company sources or makes their own brackets, etc.

that is the VP part number I posted prior. will check tomorrow evening if there is a GM part number hard stamped on the pulley. if it was a paint stamp, its long since been blasted and painted over (twice by me alone)

GM280, the pulley groove in the picture you have is about 5/8" too far out to work on the VP setup without swapping the entire accessory drive.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Scott, I honestly understand what you said. But when you have a metal cutting abilities and a welder, you can make anything work properly and then if you ever would need a replacement, is would be simple. And I do realize that is not for everybody to do, but just stating an option. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Staff member
I hear you. I have access to a half million dollars of raw materials and a bunch of metal working equipment. I consider myself lucky in that respect. however I dont have any free time lately.

not sure the OP has the luxury of designing and making brackets.

pretty sure that the PS pulley that volvo uses is the same as the fan pulley on a single belt arrangement on the 229 V6 or even the buick 231. however I dont have any of my "stash" down here in florida. all my extra automotive parts are still in storage in wisconsin.

easiest fix for the OP is to find pulley 855353 or equivalent. next easy fix is to have a reinforcement laser cut and tig in place on the pulley. then from there look into new brackets, etc.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I hear you. I have access to a half million dollars of raw materials and a bunch of metal working equipment. I consider myself lucky in that respect. however I dont have any free time lately.

not sure the OP has the luxury of designing and making brackets.

pretty sure that the PS pulley that volvo uses is the same as the fan pulley on a single belt arrangement on the 229 V6 or even the buick 231. however I dont have any of my "stash" down here in florida. all my extra automotive parts are still in storage in wisconsin.

easiest fix for the OP is to find pulley 855353 or equivalent. next easy fix is to have a reinforcement laser cut and tig in place on the pulley. then from there look into new brackets, etc.

Scott, I sure hope you have everything prepared for that Hermine storm coming in. We here in middle Georgia are preparing everything for it to come right through our area. They are predicting up to 7 inches of rain for us with high winds. So buckle down and stay safe. :eek:

Scott Danforth

Staff member
we had 15 inches of rain yesterday. took almost 2 hours to get to work. today, worked from home, very little rain here, however north where i work really got some rain.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
sorry for the delay

so I checked my pulley. not a single stamping on it. the pattern does match the water pump bolt patern though.

loco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Well, still not having much luck! I found a marine breakers yard in the UK and gave the part number. The pulley arrived at my office, and I took it straight to the powder coating place at lunch. Couple of days later, I brought it down to the boat, and lo and behold, the bolt pattern is slightly different, and the pulley is a different height. It's not going to fit! So, now I have a beatifully powdercoated, but completely useless spare pulley.

I may have a friend who is able to machine an adaptor hub, but it's a long shot. Otherwise, there are complete pumps with pulleys on ebay, which I'll have to get shipped accross the atlantic. I think this is the hardest fix I've had to find for this boat! 5 months since it failed (though I have been busy)...

I'm begining to contemplate taking the hub off the pump, and welding on some repair washers in my workshop, though it'll probably be horribly out of balance afterwards.

Attachments

• photo255894.JPG
    photo255894.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo255895.JPG
    photo255895.JPG
    257.1 KB · Views: 0

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Do you have a machine shop near you? If so, I bet they can help fix your pullley problem. JMHO

Scott Danforth

Staff member
small spacer and you should be good to go.

loco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No Title

Not quite, the bolt holes don't quite line up, so I would need to machine a spacer that has holes and a recess in it to bolt it to the pump hub (bolt head would fit in the recess), and then a set of threaded holes to bolt the pulley to it. I need to take some measurements, but I don't know if it'll have the depth to do it.

For example, if the pulleys have 10mm difference, the spacer would need to be 10mm thick. However, I need to recess the bolts to bolt it to the hub, so if the thickness of the bolt heat is 7mm, that leaves just 3mm of spacer material holding the pulley on.

This is the old pulley sat over the new one. You can jsut make out that the holes on the new pulley are further apart.
The large hole in the middle also differs.

Attachments

• photo255918.jpg
    photo255918.jpg
    207.5 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Staff member
or turn the holes into slots with a small rat-tail file.