Problem identifying and removing 1993 Merc Shifter/Throttle Lever

jtocwru

Recruit
Hello, I have a 1993 Maxum 1900SC w/ 4.3L + MerCruiser Alpha. The trim button on my control lever failed, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to remove it! I've found several different suggestions, but nothing seems to work. (I tried moving it forward in the throttle-only setting, and popping off the throttle-only button, but that doesn't expose any underlying bolt or fastener that I can remove. There is simply a plastic post that WILL NOT come out with needle-nose pliers.) There is definitely a set screw in the bottom of the lever, but there also appears to be something obstructing it. I have a borescope, and I tried getting in there to see exactly what the obstruction is, but that didn't really work. I can't figure out what's blocking the set screw.

The shifter looks exactly like this: https://i.ytimg.com/vi/BjYreBL6nKQ/maxresdefault.jpg

...but there are no model or part numbers that I can find. It doesn't appear to be the more common "Commander" type of lever.

Thanks

mickyryan

Rear Admiral
ok under the bottom of arm is a allen screw undo that then remove wires coming into the arm that should be simple I know I have seen a "manual for this side mount control floating around" then remove the cover from side square part , behind that will be 4 screws remove those and the box should be yours.

jtocwru

Recruit
ok under the bottom of arm is a allen screw undo that then remove wires coming into the arm that should be simple I know I have seen a "manual for this side mount control floating around" then remove the cover from side square part , behind that will be 4 screws remove those and the box should be yours.

Thanks for the reply. Like I said, I've tried getting in there with an allen wrench, but there's a piece of something [metal? plastic?] that appears to be blocking about half of the screw head.

Any idea what size hex key is needed? Maybe if I just jam the correct size wrench in there, I can "convince" it to find the screw head.

gsxrdan

Petty Officer 1st Class
mine looks similar - the outer plastic square on mine slides apart, as in put your fingernails where the 'f'and 'r' arrows are pointing and try and push them apart (i cant see a join line but its possible) alternately the disc saying 'throttle only' may pry off; good luck...