replacing pulley steering column

goatnad

Seaman
I have finished repainting my boat and I'm now putting things back on it. I am replacing the steering column but seem to have lost the pictures I took of how it was originally placed. Here are pictures of what all pieces I have and I'm wondering if you guys could maybe help me to figure out how this all goes.
E9jTALj.jpg

83Gddpq.jpg

goatnad

Seaman
So I played around with the pieces today and this is the best I could come up with on how this should fit.
vTQbUg0.jpg

Using the first picture in the previous post and numbering the pieces 1 to 7 from left to right and the wood piece being number 8 this is how I have it put together.
5,6,8,2,3,4,3,1,7. (i have 2 of number 3. not sure if both are needed.) The dash would fit between the big chrome piece and the wood. I haven't put this on the boat yet. I'm not to sure about how tightly this all will be held in place. Anyone know if this looks right?

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Looks like that would work. Odd and funny, I actually did the very same thing with your posted picture. I copied it and labelrd the parts 1 -7 (I didn't label the wood parts) And started to assembly them as well. But the post got very long and I decided to not post it after all that. But you seem to have the same basic idea about assembling it anyway. JMHO

goatnad

Seaman
Hehe :). Thanks for the effort of figuring it out. I put in on the boat today and made sure to tighten it as good as I could. I slid the drum and shaft in place and lightly screwed on the steering wheel then I just about laid all of my weight on it to see if it moved. It didn't budge at all so I'm thinking this is the right way or at least secure enough to use. Now its on to putting the wiring harness back in and making my seats. Thank you again for the help.