Another Teleflex cable question

On the run

Recruit
I feel sure this subject has been kicked around before, if so, here it goes again.
In attempting to remove the cable from the helm, the instructions say to remove the pin, then place the pin in a hole, then pull on the cable and turn the wheel. Clear enough, except the pin won't go in the hole. Actually, I found 2 holes but the pin won't go in either of them. What am I doing wrong?

Fed

Commander
I can't remember the exact details but when I replaced my helm & cable I found the Teleflex instructions were clearly wrong and it was all to do with the pin & the holes.

Fed

Commander
I just had a look at mine, when the pin is in it's normal resting place it stops the spring loaded release collar from moving.

Pull the pin & push it into the hole closest to the front of the boat & push hard on to the spring loaded collar, you may have to push & pull on the cable at the same time to unload it a little.

Forget the directions they show the release hole at right angles to the clip resting hole when in fact it's in the same plane.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i replaced mine that last spring and i found that if the cable is in the least bit of a bind it wont come out, their system sucks, the old 1/4 bolt type worked fine

On the run

Recruit
Thank you, Fed and MH Hawker. The hole in front was indeed the proper place for the pin. After clamping the pin in vise grip pliers and with me pushing in as hard as I could, my wife was able to pull the sheath loose and "maybe" some of the cable pulled out also. At that point, everything stopped! The cable won't move and the wheel won't turn. Could it be that the gears inside the box are frozen or have I overlooked something else? I'm not sure just how the pin interacts with the cable, I thought it simply held the sheath in place. Should the pin be shoved in to remove the cable itself, or is it something else?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
if your working with the old cable and box it may be frozen, once its lose turning the wheel feeds the cable out, rock the wheel back and forth a bit it may free up

Fed

Commander
I agree with MHH above.

The pin is to release the outer sheath, you could use a pin punch & hammer if the collar was stuck.
The pin must also slot into the collar that keeps the collar in place when the pin is in its 'home' position.

It will all become clear when you get the cable out and you see inside the cable entry hole.