Exactly WHAT fails when the tilt & trim switch quits?

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
Apparently I have a lot of company with a T&T switch that only works in one direction. Mine is an OMC surface-mount remote control (96-05). Lots of Youtube videos on replacing the switch or handle. In one the guy had bought an entire new handle because the switch is no longer made (!!) and when he opened his up he found the screw holding it in place was broke so the switch body moved away from finger pressure.
So--is it usually the switch contacts, the wires, switch attachment...something else or all the above? Is this why OMC no longer makes the switch--because the whole switch/handle/wires "system" is junk and needs to be replaced whole?

Just trying to get to the "why".

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
OMC bought the switch from either ITW, NEC, Cherry, Micro Switch or a variety of other companies.

what fails on the $3 switch in the expensive handle...... depends on the method of failure. many times, the contacts just get carboned up from the arc, other times, the wire breaks, sometimes the plastic simply becomes brittle...

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I would disconnect the 3 wires going to the switch and try connecting them together manually to make sure its the switch and not something else. The red wire either connects to the blue or to the green to make it move up/down.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
On my '98 Force when it would only move one direction it was one of the two relays mounted on the engine.
Mike

guy48065

Chief Petty Officer
Motor, pump & cylinder are pretty compact on my 40--are there relays in there or does the little rocker switch take the full load of the pump motor?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
relays. the little rocker switch has a rating of less than an amp. motor takes about 90 amps inrush and about 30 amps operating