Help with neutral safety switch

dk47

Cadet
Hello. I am trying to set up a simplex/ship master two handle control box on my 1987 Evinrude120. Does anybody have any experience or knowledge on installing a neutral safety switch in these boxes. Please share. Any help, advice, pictures, drawings, or anything at all will be greatly appreciated. I have searched the internet with no luck. Thanks, Danny

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
Ive searched those switches a lot for my merc outboard tiller handle. All i find is videos and info for the control boxes. There has to be a similiar video out there that can give you an idea. If i was home id look for ya.

dk47

Cadet
That thread was informative but I still don't know if anyone has had any experience installing a neutral safety switch in these boxes. My sons take this boat out occasionally and I dont like the idea of it cranking in gear. Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Don't think your going to find someone here with actual knowledge, could be wrong but just don't think so. Many of the folks that knew at some time are no longer here.

I did find the Johnson control adjustment, but does not show the two handle.
http://boatinfo.no/lib/evinrude/manuals/1973-1991johnsonevinrude.html#/208

If the neutral safety switch is in the control box, I would think it should be easy enough to find the detent where the switch makes connection. The neutral switch closes to pass current when in place. The one in the link above shows two solenoids which were used at the time, but may not be yours.

In GA's link, I don't see where the switch would be, so is it possible the neutral is in the motor?

g0nef1sshn

Lieutenant
I read your original post and the thread since im home now. If I understand right, you are trying to put a retro throttle box (probably had no switch) onto a newer motor (most likely to have came with the switch in the controls)?

If thats the case, I think you would need to look into a new ignition switch, and wiring in a switch for that year motor.

Im not an expert, but just what I gathered from finally reading on a computer. (and researching this for my merc)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Added that link for something to look at.

I don't think there is room for adding a neutral switch internally. Adding one externally is not going to be easy, either.

That remote predates a 1987 motor by a few years or decades. Maybe it's time to change out the remote with one closer in age to the motor for the safety of your kids.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have a Ship Master two handle controller setup from 1976 that I totally rebuilt, but there is no neutral switch in my control unit. My neutral switch in on the starboard side of the engine.
Remote - 7M.jpg

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I have a Ship Master two handle controller setup from 1976 that I totally rebuilt, but there is no neutral switch in my control unit. My neutral switch in on the starboard side of the engine.

Seems from your PM to me that this is what your control unit looks like. If that is so, you can easily make it look like new again. And the good part about this is parts are still available for it. Here is a break down of this type control unit;
Remote-resized.png

If you want more info let me know. More then glad to help if I can.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It is easy enough to see if the motor does have the neutral switch. Simply put the motor in gear and turn the key. If it turns over. the motor does not have a neutral switch. Looking at parts diagrams for 1987 Evinrude 120s, can't find a neutral switch on the motor unless I'm missing it.