MerControl (Mercury 500 red band) Shifts, but won't apply throttle.

areoseek

Seaman Apprentice
I'm new to outboard controls, i'm coming from electric shift.
New (to me) boat has this controller on it.
6t358l.jpg

1st question, What is the small paddle for? (it does nothing)

2nd question, Why does the big red lever shift, but apply no throttle?

3rd, What would cause me to have neutral, and forward, but no reverse. (I think the cable is wrongly adjusted, but figured i'd ask).

I can get throttle by taking the barrel off of the stop pin and pulling the cable by hand, but the controller doesnt seem to move the throttle, just shift.

I can't be crazy here. Thanks guys (and gals).

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The small lever is called a warm up lever. It allows throttle when starting and while the motor is in neutral.

Check your cables at the motor. It sounds like they may be reversed and that would account for the no throttle. Or the throttle cable is broken. Reversed would give forward. neutral and no reverse.

areoseek

Seaman Apprentice
The small lever is called a warm up lever. It allows throttle when starting and while the motor is in neutral.

Check your cables at the motor. It sounds like they may be reversed and that would account for the no throttle. Or the throttle cable is broken. Reversed would give forward. neutral and no reverse.
I thought the P/o had them reversed before, because I had throttle and no shift. so i reversed them, now I have shift and no throttle. Top Cable is throttle, bottom is shift correct?

areoseek

Seaman Apprentice
Okay, good news! got the barrels adjusted and I now have throttle and shifting on the red lever, and a tiny bit of throttle on the black lever. Still no reverse, and you kind of have to do a dance with both levers (small lever back, while moving big lever into gear and apply throttle), but it works. it seems to load up and die in neutral after a few seconds though.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
When using the warm up lever don't use the throttle/shift lever. After the motor warms up, lower the warm up lever and keep it there.

Have you tried shifting into reverse with the motor running? The way the reverse gears are made, shifting with a stopped motor can be difficult, if not impossible. Don't try to force the shifter into reverse, you can stretch the cable if the motor is stopped. You can shift a stopped motor by rotating the prop a little then try to shift into reverse. Doesn't work, turn the prop again.

On that remote, watch the cables as you shift into forward. The throttle cable, where it exits the remote, it will move up and down vertically as the throttle advances and is pulled back to idle. Or it's the other way, I don't remember. One of the them moves.

areoseek

Seaman Apprentice
well, I guess I have to do more tinkering. if i move the idle lever all the way down, it dies after a few seconds.

A new problem arised as I was out on the lake today, had to get towed in. Engine would die if I gave it throttle. It's mechanical, So i'll post in the appropriate subform.