Help with MerControl

landover50

Seaman Apprentice
Alright all, i have used this site extensively since I bought my first boat a couple years ago but this is my first post.

My boat has a mercontrol similar to the one linked here. I'll get pics of mine later today. The main issue I'm having is that the handle is loose in the radial direction. It seems as if the teeth on the splines are worn. This results in a little play at the hub which gives me about 1 inch of play at the end of the handle. It makes it very difficult to feather the throttle when pulling anything behind the boat. I've been looking and it doesn't seem like there are too many replacement readily available. Any suggestions? I'm also thinking about replacing the throttle cable, where is the best place to get them?

My last question is how do I disassemble the remote control? I was able to remove the somewhat hidden screw that requires an Allen wrench but couldn't get the handle off because of the button in the center. I tried twisting it off but didn't seem to work. Once I get it removed are there any adjustments i can make to help smooth the control and tighten it up?

I hope this all makes sense, thanks in advance.

Attachments

• fetch?id=7155060&d=1400613373.jpeg
    fetch?id=7155060&d=1400613373.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 0

bbook83

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The arm will pull off the male spline once the Allen set screw is removed. The button is just a pressed fit and will come off when you pull the arm. You can try cleaning up the spline with a file, but the slop you describe is likely wear inside the control. I could find no adjustment inside the control. I purchased two different used units from eBay, but neither was any better than my original, which had slop similar to what you have described.

I finally found a NOS unit which has no slop. I think I got very lucky finding it. If you are searching for one, check the part numbers on mercruiser parts.com, as there is a full size unit and a compact one, which use the same arm, but are different size. Also, be sure to get the proper port or starboard mount unit. I saw a port side unit on ebay that had been turned upside down and the arm appropriately reinstalled to look like a starboard mount.