Volvo Penta steering issue ,i've never heard of

grf_1000

Recruit
I'm new here but not new to boating.
2000 four winns 298 vista. twin 5.7 gsi dp-sm duo props.
July 4th I blew a power assist line. I only had plow hydraulic oil and some lucas power steering sealer in my tool bag. I added those to get me to port.
line was replaced and drained what oil was left out of reservoir. Bleed system of air. Started starboard motor and the steering wheel went all the way to lock to starboard, takes two hands and a lot of effort to turn to wheel to port. Once it is to port when I let go it goes again all the way to starboard lock. Without out engine running it turns without issue either way lock to lock. A marine mechanic unhooked my cable and checked that plus hooked up another steering actuator to no avail. I swapped my power steering pump from port motor to starboard and no change. Fluid is full and no air bubbles. Lines to cooler were unhooked and I can blow through them, even by passed for a test. I'm lost......

Anyone ever see anything like this?
Thank you for any input.

Last edited:

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Gee, I was hoping someone could help ya, Sounds strange. I would think there is a stuck valve someplace. Or some trapped air, but it should bleed out. Could some debris have gotten in the system when the line blew out? I actually think the line blew because the same issue came up when the line blew out, under power there is a lot of pressure on the system.

grf_1000

Recruit
Thanks for the reply. On the fitted line, it was the crimp that split. I never knew it was leaking of course, till it was low on fluid.

Bondo

Staff member
Anyone ever see anything like this?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... On the actuator, one of the tubes has 2 wrench flats on it,....

Those wrench flats need to be perfectly up, 'n down, to align the actuator's valvin',....

Donno's it's yer problem but it's a place to look,....

grf_1000

Recruit
actuator was correct. I tried a new style on again today and had the same issue so I put another new pump on it. Problem fixed. Would have never guessed I had to pumps with the relief valve that were messed up.

Thank you for the replies.