Looking for new shifter and cables...recommendations?

americanmcss

Seaman
I have a 1990 Bayliner Capri with a Mercruiser Alpha one Gen 1 sterndrive. As far as we can tell it has the original US marine shifter and possibly even cables as well. This is a good solid family boat, but its not something we are looking to pile a bunch of money into either. Everything works as of right now but we can tell the system is getting tired. The cables are getting stiff and its becoming difficult to shift. The handle itself is getting loose and sloppy as well. We are going to have a new intermediate shift cable professionally installed and adjusted and would like the control system to be as new as possible.

I am looking at the Uflex side mount control with trim (http://www.iboats.com/Side-Mount-Si...7139692--session_id.098701767--view_id.237112). It is made of metal (ours is plastic), and appears that it will integrate seamlessly with our boat. It's not the cheapest option on the market, but it appears that it is well made. There are a lot of positive reviews all over the internet for it. I'm also looking at the Seastar solutions xtreme cables. They look to be competitively priced and well made, and once again look like they will integrate seamlessly with the new controls and the sterndrive. Any suggestions from those who are far more seasoned than me?