Throttle cable adjustment

bkhealey

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all. I have a 1992 Bayliner Capri with a 90HP outboard. The throttle cable snapped while camping last fall. Took it to the local marina and they replaced it. I haven't had the boat out this year yet but I did start in the Drive today to just make sure it's all good before we take it out. Started fine but the prop is spinning like it's in the first low gear. It's never been like that and I am sure the cable just needs to be adjusted. I Youtube on how to adjust it but none were for my boat. I know it's a small nut next to the motor but not sure which one or who to do it? In the attached picture I see both but not sure which one or how to do it.

Thanks!

Brina

Attachments

• WP_20160724_006.jpg
    WP_20160724_006.jpg
    268.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Fed

Commander
Is the prop free to turn by hand with the motor not running and the shift set in neutral?
If so then there's probably nothing wrong with it.

bkhealey

Seaman Apprentice
It does forward but not if I spin it the other way. Still it never did this before and if I was wanting to not move I couldn't. It's moving to fast. Wouldn't be fun docking that's for sure.

Fed

Commander
Is the prop free to turn by hand with the motor not running and the shift set in neutral?
It does forward but not if I spin it the other way.

That would indicate the shift adjustment is out but that's strange as replacing the throttle cable should not have caused it.
Did they do anything else?

Normal adjustment is to disconnect the shaft cable at the motor.
Manually shift the motor side to neutral.
Manually shift the controller to neutral.
Adjust the shift cable outer sheath at the motor so slips on without moving anything.
Reconnect the shift cable.

What motor is it?

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
^^like he says. Will assume you replaced the cable with the same length (and that it was working OK before it broke). Your Morse cable likely has some adjustment on both the motor and shift box ends. On the motor end, detach the quick release and loosen the small lock nut on the cable side of the connector. Then turn the unit a couple of turns counterclockwise(?) and see if the length now matches the location of the stud. If so, reattach and test. If adjustment is correct, tighten down the nut.

The socket portion of the quick release will spin -- that's not the adjustment. Need to screw the base in or out on the cable to adjust.

By the way, you make these adjustments with the motor off.

[ed. just noted the date -- probably have this handled by now....]

Last edited: