3.0L GSP-B motor and an SX-M outdrive. power steering fluid in bottom of boat.

tim bowt

Cadet
I have 2002 Regal Fast Track 1800 with a 3.0L GSP-B motor and an SX-M outdrive. I just found some power steering fluid in bottom of boat. I had just replaced all the hydraulic lines and power steering unit over the winter and there appears to be no leaks from any of them. While running the motor and turning the steering I can see some dripping from around the ram on the actuator. Is there a Power Steering Stop leak that could be recommended until I can do a proper fix? I?m on vacation and don?t have the tools or patients to work on it now. When I get back is there a repair kit that can be purchased and worked on by someone w/o a lot of experience or will the unit need to be replaced?

MattBuss

Cadet
Man, I just went through a very similar experience. After reading through these forums, I found a simple rebuild kit for $70 or so. Not sure if it had everything I needed, I pulled the ram and took it to a hydraulic rebuild shop (another idea I got from this site). The rebuild cost me $250, but its cheaper than buying a new unit ($800). I put it back in today, and so far, so good.

I got a lot of good info from this thread [h=1]Steering cylinder leak- SX-M[/h]

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was not able to find an actual VP rebuild kit sold by VP,but I did find a kit on ebay for VP.
I did the rebuild myself, pretty easy if you have the tools.
either way need to be very cautious putting the actuator on the inner transom plate, easy to break off a mmounting tab.
dont ask me how I know, just do:facepalm: