Need tips on how to lubricate Teleflex steering system

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
photo247371.jpg

I have a 2010 Glastron GT 180 with a 150 Evinrude HO Etec that has a dual cable teleflex steering cable as shown in the attached pictures. The steering is incredibly stiff. I just got the boat last year. I suspect that the previous owner never lubricated the steering cables during the time he owned it. They need lubrication badly now.

photo247372.jpg

How do I lubricate the cables? I was told that I need to disconnect the two large cable connections to the starboard side of the steering yoke and then pull the cables out of the housing, lube 'em up and slide 'em back in. I couldn't get those connectors apart, however. I could back them off to a certain point but then the hex parts started binding against the cable housing behind them and I couldn't unscrew the hex parts back far enough to be able to get the connections fully apart.

If someone could give me some instructions as to what exactly I have to do and the order I need to do those things in it would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if I was going about it the right way or if I have to do something different so I was a bit tentative about trying to get those two connections apart. Any advice/tips/instructions would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Attachments

• attach10218423.jpg
    attach10218423.jpg
    379.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
to my knowledge you cant lube the cable, how ever pull it out of the tilt tube and lub that up and it may help

Roj115

Petty Officer 2nd Class
to my knowledge you cant lube the cable, how ever pull it out of the tilt tube and lub that up and it may help

So how do I do that? What's the procedure for it? That's what I'm asking for help with. Right now the steering is way, way stiffer than it should be. It makes it hard to drive the boat, especially when docking.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
you disconnect the motor end of the cable and pull it out of the motor tilt tube, the big nut and the steering arm, once lose it should pull out