1968 Mercruiser trim problem

AKPilotnboatman

Seaman Apprentice
Hey everyone. Back at the 68 Penn Yan project. I had her in the water a couple times last year and it is running strong and not leaking. New seats and all worked great. My problem now is the trim control. it is the turn key style mercury (old) with the red toggle switch. It will trim down, and on the up button, I can hear the solenoid clicking but it is not able to trim up, and I can not hear the hydraulic motor activating. Hopefully I can get this going before the weekend. Not even sure if parts are available anymore. Thanks

Scott06

Vice Admiral
there is a separate solenoid (relay) for the hydraulic pump check to see if 12 v is comming out of it when it clicks. It will look like this

http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=MER25661T+1

Would check following in this order -

1. 12 v from trim switch in down position, may be getting voltage loss and despite click won't fully engage solenoid.
2. If you don't get 12 out of the solenoid to the pump, solenoid is bad.
3. If 12 v comes out to pump might need brushes in the pump jump 12 v to pump to confirm.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
They censor the links Google quicksilver 25661T1 to see what the solenoid looks like not an expensive part. Pm me if you can't find parts breakdowns

AKPilotnboatman

Seaman Apprentice
So I got the motor to come up by jumping power. I would imagine that means the solenoid is bad? or one of the contacts, although it worked fine before (it gets cold here in the winter, i bet it just failed from that and being old as dirt.)

Bondo

Staff member
I would imagine that means the solenoid is bad?

Ayuh,.... With a test light, see if there's power goin' to the solenoid's exciter wire from the switch,....

If ya power the exciter terminal, 'n the solenoid don't work, Ya, the solenoid is bad,...

AKPilotnboatman

Seaman Apprentice
Going to have to run that test later. So much to do. If the exciter wire is getting power, wouldn't that caus the click?

AKPilotnboatman

Seaman Apprentice
So the solenoid is a F-1900-D part number. Pretty sure it is bad. Is there a GM or Ford part that will work? I am not sure I can get the "marine" part in time for the weekend. Going to call the boat stores tomorrow and the auto stores possibly.