1988 OMC 502APRGDP -- Problem removing pin connecting clevis to steering arm

jbutler67

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi-

1988 Four Winns Horizon. OMC 502APRGDP.

I need to replace the Power Steering Cylinder and Actuator. I have all lines and hoses disconnected. I have all bolts and pins removed except one. The pin that connects the clevis to the steering arm is rusted and wont move. I removed the cotter pin. But the pin will not turn or move. I have attached pictures.

Any suggestions?

I don't have enough room to swing a hammer at it.

Attachments

• photo246841.JPG
    photo246841.JPG
    98.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo246842.JPG
    photo246842.JPG
    92.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo246843.JPG
    photo246843.JPG
    129.7 KB · Views: 0
  • problem pin 3.JPG
    problem pin 3.JPG
    85.9 KB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Use on blaster or kroil. Then a vice grip to attempt to turn back and forth. If that doesn't work, gri,d the head off and drive it thru

jbutler67

Petty Officer 1st Class
I will try grinding the head off and then driving it thru (downward).

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Try turning it first with the vice grips.

jbutler67

Petty Officer 1st Class
I hit it with Blaster. Tomorrow, I'm going to put socket over top of clevis pin. Put a C clamp over top of socket and bottom of clevis pin. Crank C clamp. Then grab top of clevis pin with vice grips, assuming it pops up a bit.

jbutler67

Petty Officer 1st Class
No luck. : ( I hit it with Blaster 3 times and let it soak overnight twice. Vice grips won't even budge it. I put a 5/8 socket over top to give top of pin room to move up, then put a Hart 4" C-Clamp over top of socket and bottom of pin. Cranked it as far as it would go. Didn't budge. I don't have access to a "blue wrench" out in the yard. Next step - go see a mechanic to see how much he will charge me.

Fed

Commander
Try building a little dam around it with silastic or some compound then fill the dam with penetrene type stuff, let it sit for a few days & try again with a bigger/stronger G clamp & socket. I could be wrong but it looks like a press in type pin to me, interference fit possibly with little teeth on the shaft where it contacts the 'clevis'.

jbutler67

Petty Officer 1st Class
Update. Good news. A friend tried an air impact gun on it. The first attempt at an angle spun the pin. Next shot popped the pin right up and off. Problem solved. :)

drexton311

Seaman
Question...where did your source your replacement actuator? I believe I a have a similar problem on my '88 Reinell.