Sea Star I lock valve leak

BillBoost37

Cadet
Hi everyone, Boat is a 1988 Sea Ray 16 ft OB Seville. As I'm going through it getting it back on it's feet, I refilled the steering on the original Sea Star I system and had noted that oil had been on the carpet under the helm. Boat sat for 14 years. Using the correct Sea Star steering fluid and procedure to fill, steering works amazing and no leaks at the typical seals on the ram. Instead I have a leak at the helm that I identified to be the starboard side lock valve of the helm pump.

My trouble is, I can't locate any model number anywhere on the helm or the sticker on the stern cylinder. It's wearing it's sea ray made by teleflex sticker on the cylinder just like the motor says nothing about being a mercury and wears the Sea Ray cover. Anyone have any background as to which parts were used on this boat?

Thanks in advance

BillBoost37

Cadet
To update as it seems many times we don't follow up and share what we find out. I called Sea Star Technical Assistance and left my name/number (they call you back). Next day got the call and what a great experience! Within a minute of explaining that there is no model etc the guy asked how it bolted at the helm and knew what I had.

HS5151 is the helm seal kit. And the seal that I need for the lock valve is an o-ring. It's technically referred to as 113 (even on google) and it's OD 3/4" x ID 9/16" x cross section 3/32. Said to pick it up as any hydraulic place. I hit up Amazon and paid $2.97 for 100 pack delivered free in two days. Correct, if you need some, send me a message hahahahaha.

Once I get to it this weekend, I'll report back on the fix.

Bondo

Staff member
To update as it seems many times we don't follow up and share what we find out.

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,....

Thank you for the Updates,....

I'm not familiar with yer system, myself,....

BillBoost37

Cadet
Success! Tapped the lock valve cap a couple of times to free it up and out came a little fluid. When I touched the o-ring it fell apart. Installed a new one, tightened the cap and refilled the system. No more leak. Cross one item off the list