A Couple of Mercury Quicksilver Control Questions

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
First I have a 2006 Mercury ELB 9.9 mdl OR14E559 motor and Quicksilver side mount remote controls mdl 881170A12.

1) Should that shift lever move pretty smoothly or should you have to muscle it a bit? I have to give it a pretty good nudge when shifting which makes it hard to dock, especially in the wind.

2) The shift & throttle cables I have don't look like any I see online anywhere. They're gray in color and the connectors at the motor are different than what I see. Mine are plastic, about two inches long, are threaded with a small nut at one end to screw onto the cable, and have a larger loop at the other end. The loop is what slips over a stud connected to the throttle/transmission. A small clear plastic washer type thing fits inside that loop over that stud, and a cotter pin goes through a hole in the stud holding everything in place.

Sorry I don't have pics or numbers.

What type of cables are these? Are they OEM or aftermarket connectors? I don't see any like this on ebay or anything.

Thanks
Jim

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
saesticky.png saesticky.png maybe this will help? Pics sure would be nice. It kinda sounds like you have OEM sae gen II cables but kinda hard to say w/o pics.

Attachments

• Throttle_Shift Linkage 9.9 Remote Models.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, here ya go. There's the gray one closest to you. That's the gears. The one behind it is the throttle. They screw onto the cable and have a small nut behind it. You can see it best on the throttle connection. They then slip onto the studs with the cotter pins through them. Are these Gen I or II? They don't look like anything I see online.
IMG_20160625_172413_154-1.jpg

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
Okay check out gen 1 sae merc cables 8m00528x (x represents lenght of cable) they have superced from merc part number 896145a(xx)

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since I can't find anything on that first part number, I'll assume mine are gen II?

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
gen 1 sae. There should be a number stamped into the cable by the engine side.

Buster_boy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It doesn't matter at this point. I spoke with a dealer today and it's cost prohibitive to convert from Johnson to Mercedes so we'll just end this thread right here. Thanks guys!

Jim