89 Chris Craft, leaking fluid at ram... help!

Svshaw82

Seaman
Hey guys, looks like our boat is leaking fluid at the steering ram. Our "new to us boat" was having trouble steering today on the lake and was making steering noise, after checking the level I found it bone dry. After filling with lucas power steering treatment, it shook the whole outdrive bad, then was smooth. Now it leaks decently from what looks like the end of the ram. What do you guys think? This is new to me so im looking for suggestions on what to troubleshoot. Thank you!

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Well, you have to fix the leak. Some rams can be rebuilt, others need to be replaced. The steering shook because of the air that got in to the system, it will happen again and is a bit dangerous if it fails when you need it.

Svshaw82

Seaman
Well, you have to fix the leak. Some rams can be rebuilt, others need to be replaced. The steering shook because of the air that got in to the system, it will happen again and is a bit dangerous if it fails when you need it.
Ive been trying to find a parts website, any sugestions? For some reason its difficult to find parts for this boat.

mjf55

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Looking at iBoats, they have OMC parts, but they do not go back to 1986. Googling the terms 1986 OMC 4.3 steering yields multiple sites for parts explodes. Is the valve body leading or the actual hydraulic piston. I did not find a rebuild kit for either part. However, there are some complete assemblies on ebay.

Attached is the parts explode for your 1986 4..3 power steering parts

Attachments

• photo245260.jpg
    photo245260.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 0

Svshaw82

Seaman
I used some lucas power steering fluid and it seems to have stopped, but the steering is "bumpy" now. Like I have power then i dont. Weird