Steering Cable Support

PTChief

Seaman Apprentice
Getting ready to install a Teleflex rotary steering system in my 1968 Starcraft Aluminum restoration project. No problem at the helm or the transom but I've got about 7.5 feet of cable run that needs to be supported as it runs down the starboard side of the boat. Is there a method or system someone had used to route and support a steering cable without puncturing the hull for support bolts? I considered using "hangers" from the gunwhales but I can't envision a system that wouldn't look like crap and put the cable at risk of damage. There may not be any way other than a couple of holes and bolts through the side to get a piece of wood along the side that I can clamp to or hang from?

sogood

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't know if it helps, but some time back I did a refurb on a 16' Microplus and to house the various cables etc. running the length of the boat, I fixed a piece of waste water pipe up under the gunwale and rand the cables through it. I used the accompanying plastic pipe clips to support it and if you don't want to have any actual fixings going through your boat, you could glass in a few wooden blocks, which can then be screwed to. If you need more room, perhaps a piece of plastic rainwater down pipe (wider diameter than the 2 1/2" waste pipe) would do the job? This system is easily removable for access or the addition of more cables. Just my thoughts.

Last edited:

PTChief

Seaman Apprentice
That's not a bad idea....hadn't considered routing that way. And by using plastic pipe, I could actually heat it slowly and form it to the gunwale curvature.......
thank you...I'm gonna see how that works. I also had envisioned about a 4 inch horizontal plate off the top of the gunwales and then drop a piece of aluminum down from that piece using 90 degree angle to affix it. That might give me enough strength to hang from as well as hide the cable and the wiring I can run down there.