1980s omc throttle control throttle friction knob????

very new to console steering just bought a lund that needs a little tlc, 1980s evenrude 40hp with omc throttle control--​boat sometimes creates an alarming noise from the accelerator randomly! once when turning on the lake which stayed on for a good 3 minutes, and once just approaching the dock to land, lasted about 30 seconds,
2nd - when trying to open her up a bit I get about 2/3 of the way up the throttle then hits a wall and will not go wide open, is this due to the throttle friction switch?? or how would I even use the switch, ive never owned a console steered boat, but any or all information that I would need to know would be much appreciated

Nathan Miles

Cadet
On the second issue I have an 84 Johnson 70hp has the same control friction switch I will see if I can figure it out tomorrow but if someone knows off hand that would be awesome.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
1st thing is to get that alarm straightened out. On that engine it would be an overheat alarm as there is no VRO oiling system. The alarm could be a bad buzzer, poor connection or a thermostat issue. Worst case is a water pump issue.

The friction control just sets the tension on the throttle so that it doesn't throttle back when the handle is let go. It is adjusted by turning in or out. It will not adjust throttle position.

You can check the throttle advance by removing the engine cover and observe the carb. Move to full throttle and check that the carb is opening all the way. Let me know what you find.

No Title

Attachments

• photo244129.jpg
    photo244129.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244130.jpg
    photo244130.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244131.jpg
    photo244131.jpg
    248.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo244132.jpg
    photo244132.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 2

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Need to rotate these pictures. Maybe a mod can help with this.

I would replace that split cable as that's a problem waiting for trouble. Trailer looks to fit the boat well and not as high as I thought from the other thread picture. May nee a new screw gasket on the lower unit. They're cheap.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
black cylendr with red switch had come loose and was in the way of the accelerator, but curious about the

fetch

Looks like you found the trouble, the equipment you described in the one pic as being loose and interfering with the throttle linkage is the primer solenoid used for cold starts since your carbs don't have choke plates.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Wow, missed this post somewhere, Where did the picture come from? I don't see it in this thread.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
In his slide show pics he's added comments under them, the one I posted is the last pic of the series.