Disessemble omc control box

Tony Toberman

Recruit
I need to replace the ignition in my omc control box. I'm having trouble opening the control box. This pic is not my control box but it's identical.Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-05-08-23-25-30-1.png
    Screenshot_2016-05-08-23-25-30-1.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Should be just the two thru screws holding it to the gunwhale, two large screws on opposite side of box and the smaller hex head that holds the lever on. On the hex head screw, loosen it up two turns and then put a short 3/8 extension against it and tap it sharply with a hammer while suspending the lever on the other side so in can move when hit. It is somewhat a press fit and makes a lot of rookies wonder what the hang up is.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There are 3 screws on the back to take out.----------Handle stays in place to replace the switch.

Tony Toberman

Recruit
Should be just the two thru screws holding it to the gunwhale, two large screws on opposite side of box and the smaller hex head that holds the lever on. On the hex head screw, loosen it up two turns and then put a short 3/8 extension against it and tap it sharply with a hammer while suspending the lever on the other side so in can move when hit. It is somewhat a press fit and makes a lot of rookies wonder what the hang up is.

Tried your method. Still doesn't open.

bobsquatch

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's all there is. You can believe racerone. He knows way more than me for sure but I find the impact of breaking the handle loose is the ticket inside for me. I loosen the hex screw as I go. 2 full turns and a solid wrap of the hammer. Screw will be snug again, 2 more turns and repeat. Use caution not to damage the splines with whatever you are using as a drift. I have found my 4" long 3/8" socket extension works swimmingly. Also you must suspend the box (particularly the handle) or all the impact force that was going to separate your components will just be absorbed by what it is laying on. If this doesn't work for you search the site for a more detailed write up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
3 screws to be taken out at the back.-----Handle does not need to come off to split the box !

Buickmike

Seaman Apprentice
Ditto to the 3 screws...i just replaced the ignition in my omc box....keep track of them there wires......easy peasy:)