Boat steering wandering after new Uflex system?

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just installed a new Uflex system with new helm,lines,and cylinder however the boat wanders at wake speed all over the place.I have to continually correct it port/starboard...port/starboard...port/starboard...port/starboard.... to keep it going straight.

Any ideas?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I take it you have a hydraulic system. Wandering is a symptom of needing to bleed the system more. Any air in the system makes it sloppy. Try another bleed procedure.

Bondo

Staff member
I have to continually correct it port/starboard...port/starboard...port/starboard...port/starboard.... to keep it going straight.

Ayuh,.... Sounds like typical V-hull wander,.... Less operator input is the usual fix,...

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just really dissapointing with having a new everything system.GA i think your on to something with the air.i have bled it and the mechanic.

How much play should be in the wheel before my motor turns? At rest on the trailer, I have about 4 inches of travel either port or starboard before the motor moves.Is this normal?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Was it a cable steer before and you converted? I'm going with air in the system myself too. You can bleed it yourself, check you tube or better yet the steering system mfg, should have instructions for the procedure, The system comes with the instructions, and when ever I do one, I leave the instructions onboard for the owner.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
I spent about an hour bleeding it and never got all the air our.I think i need a power bleeder.I also saw the you tube video and followed it to...however no dice.I think next i will bleed just the helm and lines.This is really frustrating!!

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
Also this is a new boat a 25ft center console with original seastar unit that i removed

airshot

Rear Admiral
I cannot say about our particular situation but I can say that some wander at idle speed is normal. I have spent many hours demonstrating this for some of my fishing partners. I use a long canal to access the big lake and this canal is protected from the wind quite well so it makes a good place to show the wander example. I make only half adjustments to the wheel as we ride along until I hit the sweet spot, then remove my hands from the wheel and we sit and watch the boat wander from side to side, back and forth without touching the wheel. Yes it really does this then appears to correct itself and goes back the other way then back again. Now one thing ....you can't move around inside the boat...when someone moves it causes the natural wander to go off course, but yes....some wander is a natural thing to deep v type hulls. Weight shifts inside (people moving about) wind, especially cross winds also play a big part of wander, some you can fix and some you learn to live with.

zarillus

Petty Officer 1st Class
I think i have narrowed down the problem to the starboard fitting that was not tight on the back of the helm.I noticed some fluid leaking from the fitting and tightened it.I will now have to re-bleed as this was probably letting air in.

Also their a way to test that i have the hoses going to the correct port/starboard sides? I am wondering if i mixed up the hoses to the helm? If i did what types of problems would i experience? The helm hoses go to a bulkhead hose fitting and then to the cylinder.