Steering off by 1/4 turn

SkaterRace

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I have an older (1977) rack and pinon steering system. I can not figure out how to adjust the steering wheel to make it go straight when the motor is straight ahead. It has a little knob just above connected to the steering column but it is stuck in place so I have not tried to move it yet as I was not sure if it was the right thing to adjust. Will update with pictures later.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
center the wheel turn to turn, then go back and adjust the other end of the cable at the outboard to center the motor

SkaterRace

center the wheel turn to turn, then go back and adjust the other end of the cable at the outboard to center the motor
There is a blue steering tube with the cable inside it, I adjusted the large nut on there and it moved the steering, got it almost perfect only a few degrees off perfect. Figured I would update in case someone else comes across the topic in the future.

Fed

Commander
It sounds like you've loosened the cable to tilt tube nut, if that's the case it's not the way to do it.
Put up a picture of the connection at the motor.

SkaterRace

It sounds like you've loosened the cable to tilt tube nut, if that's the case it's not the way to do it.
Put up a picture of the connection at the motor.
Loosened? No, it is sure a lot tighter than it was before. For a picture just google rack and pinon steering and you'll come across the nut I am talking about. Either way it is fixed.