Looking to buy new steering and controls

DarthVader

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello everyone,

I am looking at buying all new cables and control later on down the road to replace everything on my as I have notice that my steering seems to be a little stiff at times when trying to steer it even when I know it it is well greased at all the places I can grease it,the boat is a 1989 Sea Nymph SS-175 Ski & Fish that has Evinrude 70hp I need to double check year of my motor as it is not a 1989,I think it is between a 1990 to 1992 I would like to replace everything during the off season so late fall for me here in NY State ,what I like to know can one buy everything as a complete kit or does one have to buy each part separate?

What would you all say it would cost me for everything from the steering wheel,control handle and any other cables that I need back to my outboard so basically everything..?

I still need to figure out how to measure the correct size cable I need if I can figure it out....Also is it very hard to replace everything on my boat if I am by myself..

Here is a couple pictures of my boat I want to replace my steering cable,control handle and other cables that need to be changed..

ViVFJy.jpg

iJpANS.jpg

zLpC06.jpg

Yegboats

Chief Petty Officer
I Agree with GA_ go with the complete kit they're not much more than just the cable itself. Also most of the times there is a number on your existing cable that could help you select a new steering set up.

I wouldn't replace the control box unless their is an issue. They're not cheap.

Attachments

• steeringmeasure (1).pdf
    106 KB · Views: 0

Fed

Commander
I wouldn't change the controller & cables either unless there is a problem.
So far the only problem mentioned is stiff steering, disconnect the steering at the motor & find out why it is stiff & fix it.

DarthVader

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I will try everything that has been mentioned before I do make the jump to buying a new steering cable,It is really not to bad at this point in time and should be ok to at least get me by this season...

Now since this is my first time having a boat with a steering wheel, let me ask you all this would I be thinking wrong that maybe there should be some stiffness or what seems to me like it stutters when trying to steer my boat in the water since the outboard would have water pressure on it?

Reason being is when my boat is out of the water and on the trailer there is absolutely no issue with stiffness or any stuttering ,it steers freely and no stuttering or stiffness this only happens when I am driving the boat down the lake at speeds between 20 mph up to 41 mph?

When I am going anywhere between 5 mph up to around 20 mph it seems to steer fine..