Power steering troubles

Bradmxz

Seaman
Hey guys I changed the engine in my boat it had a 4.3 with no compression so I took it out and have a 3.0 l installed. I have everything working except the steering. The 4.3 had power and the 3.0 l doesn't. I was thinking I could just plug the holes for the power steering lines and use it that way but that's not working for me. Can this be done? Or do I have to remove this and run cables? The other option is to fab something up to adapt the 4.3 power steering. But if I could get it to work with it just plugged off would be best for right now

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
What motor and drive? I think the helms are different with PS. I think adapting the pump would be your best bet.

Bradmxz

Seaman
It's an alpha one drive and 3.0 l mercruiser. Was thinking the same thing. Why doesn't the wheel turn though. It will go all the way left easily but won't come back

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,..... You'll have to remove the P/S actuator from the inner transom plate, 'n put on just the aluminum tube to hold the end of the steerin' cable, or adapt a P/S pump to the motor,....

Bradmxz

Seaman
Ok. I see what I have done wrong now then. I'm trying to push the fluid without a pump with the actuator still attached. So if I remove the actuator it should be the same as standard steering in a vehicle?

Bradmxz

Seaman
Just to let you know I've spent half the day trying to fabricate brackets to hold the pump. It's quite a trick to do that with just hand tools. I have one bracket made that aligns the pulleys but haven't started the bracket for tension on the belt yet. I'm going to remove the actuator and see what the steering is like without it

Bradmxz

Seaman
Just to finish off the thread I remove the actuator and bondo said and the steering is silky smooth

mxcobra

Chief Petty Officer
another thing you can try is the junk yard is full of brackets and such off of old cars the can be modified and adapted to hold your parts on..

Bradmxz

Seaman
I will definitely keep that in mind. The manual steering seems pretty good but it's on the trailer right now. When I put it in the water I'll know better once the engine is spun up