Installing float switch to bilge pump?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hertel11

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My bilge pump currently only has 2 settings, On and Off. I would like to install a float switch to this bilge pump and am wondering if the current electric (SPST) switch would work and how to go about installing the float switch. I want a float switch because I can not see the bilge during normal operation without lifting a cover.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
The current switch can work fine.

The question is which of 2 ways you want to wire in the added float switch.

1: Float switch in parallel to the currently installed switch. The pump actuates automatically or by switch.
2: Float switch in series with the currently installed switch. The pump can only operate if the current switch is on and the float switch is triggered by water level.

For a boat parked on the trailer a lot, #2 is generally better as it protects the boat's battery. You're expected to check the boat occasionally to ensure the drain isn't clogged and rain water can't accumulate.

For a boat that spends most of its life in the water tied to a dock #1 is better.

tex599

Seaman
Wire in a 3 position switch, off, on or auto. That gives you the ability to switch bilge on without the float in the equation, in case you need too.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Wire in a 3 position switch, off, on or auto. That gives you the ability to switch bilge on without the float in the equation, in case you need too.

I think option #1 in fhhuber's reply accomplishes the same thing (being able to turn on the pump manually) without adding a new switch. The only downside I see to his #1 is that there is no true "off" position, because in that example, "off" is the same as auto...

Personally, even though my boat spends most of it's life on a trailer (with the exception of a few weeks in the summer when we're at the lake), I don't want the ability to shut off the pump completely. I want it there, ready to empty my bilge if water comes into the boat. I don't want to be in the position of failing to note where the switch is and inadvertently letting the water level get too high; I want the bilge pump to come on without any intervention on my part, if needed. (I also want it to come on if I want it to....)

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I like the option to turn on the bilge pump any time I want but also have the option to have it in an automatic mode as well and still be able to turn it off. If I have the boat at home I don't need anything wired to pump water. I have the drain plug open at all times. And that drains water before it gets to any level. So that is just my $0.02 cents worth.

alldodge

Staff member
My bilge pump currently only has 2 settings, On and Off. I would like to install a float switch to this bilge pump and am wondering if the current electric (SPST) switch would work and how to go about installing the float switch. I want a float switch because I can not see the bilge during normal operation without lifting a cover.

Here is one setup (note it has a on/off/auto switch). Not the best to be able to turn your bilge pump off Bildge pump.gif

This is a good and also IMO typical for boat installs, (note this does not need the alarm, may have a light) but will only use a single on/off switch Bildge pump auto.jpg

Now with the above designs, are you sure you don't already have a similar setup with a float switch?

Last edited:

Mike7jack

Recruit
My bilge is already set up to the switch off and on at dashboard.

I want to add the float to existing bilge pump.

Not sure how to wire it, find the diagrams confusing.

Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.