Compatable Control Box that will work for a 1979 Evinrude 70 hp

jamundson18

Recruit
I am rebuilding a old aluminum boat that has been sitting since 2006. It was owned by one of my Marines who was killed in Afghanistan 2012. I am building this boat to give to his younger brother who will be graduating high school June 2016 as a grad present.
My last step is finding a control box that will fit a 1979 Evinrude 70hp motor. The old control box was rusted out, wires were fried, and bolts ended up being stripped. I have tried to find the same control box that is cost efficient. However the exact same control box is classified as an antique and most are priced over 200$ on ebay. I have looked and looked at various control boxes such as Johnson and OMC and only find new ones priced over $400.
I am looking for other manufacturers that are compatible with this motor that hopefully are cheaper. I currently found one under $150 that is a mercury/mariner commander 2000. It looks the same as the evinrude model but doesnt clarify what other motors its compatible with. Does anyone have any suggestions where to look? Or what control boxes will work with Evinrude? Or if there is one that isnt to difficult to rewire? Any advice will help me greatly.
Thanks!

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure you need a Johnson or Evinrude control box from 1973 to somewhere in the mid-90's. The key is "red plug". Any "red-plug" box will work. The only "universal" boxes I've heard of are all newer and would likely cost you more. Check with some of the used outboard part places. I've had good luck with http://www.twincityoutboard.com/

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Two things I like to say first. Thank you for your service and I commend you for what you are trying to do.

:welcome: to iboats. Any way I can help you let me know...

The control box you need has to be either a Johnson or Evinrude (OMC) because they are setup to work both the throttle and shifter via the control cables. But it also uses the wiring harness that works with those type engines. So you can't use a Mercury, Mariner, Yamaha, Suzuki or any other manufacturer controls. So if you can find one made for your engine, grab it and even if it needs refurbishing or replacement parts there are still some parts available even for the older ones.

It sounds like you also will need the control cables. Those cables will depend on the model control box you finely get. So wait until you buy the control box first before getting any cables. You may find the control box with the cables. Only issue there is the actual length for your boat setup. But take the cables anyway. Some can be shortened if need be.

Craigslist and EBay will probably be your best bet. You could even run an ad in your local paper explaining what you need and are trying to do and I am reasonably certain others will surely help you. JMHO!