Sizing old OMC control cables

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
I need new cables for my old OMC style control (I like it and don't want to change it) however I'm unsure what length cables to get. I've attached a picture showing the route the old cables take which I think may be longer than needed. The existing cables are 6'. I suppose there must be some rule of how tight a bend these cables should have. Taking the cable loose at the control end and prepositioning it, it seems I could shorten them by a foot without changing how tight they curve but don't know if this would be good or not.
Can anyone advise me? Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• photo239312.jpg
    photo239312.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 1

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

Actually, I have a bigger problem. The cables I found online do not match the old cable (see pics) The engine end is OK but not the end that goes into the control box. Are these old cables available anywhere?

Alternately the old cable can be pulled completely out of the sleeve and seems to have no damage, no rust or corrosion, it's only the outer sleeve that is cracking. It seems I could pull the cable, clean and grease and by wrapping the outer sleeve to reinforce it (as I already did at one part) I could reuse it.

Input?

Attachments

• photo239313.jpg
    photo239313.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo239314.jpg
    photo239314.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you very much. I have a very hard time searching out a part on Iboats although I prefer to buy there. Thanks for sending me that link.

Now one thing, those cables seem to have a little thickened piece at the end. Is that like original or is it something added to keep the cable from pulling through?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
omc cable.PNG

I think that is a ferrule added to the cable for clamping in the remote control. I can't tell if your original is a stranded or single wire cable, but the one I linked appears to be stranded and the ferrule gives a more solid clamp in the remote.

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
My cables are solid wire, hope these are an improvement and not a cheaper version.
OK, thanks again I ordered them.

GA_Boater

I got a set of the Merc cables with the stranded. Trust me - Anything less than 40 years old is a huge improvement. :D

Jim Hawkins

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

OK, just a little info to close out this thread. I got the cables from Our host, iboats.com and they were exact replacements and cost less than other online sites. The cable was Solid, not stranded and the little piece at the end of the cable as it appears in the iboats catalog is nothing more than a little rubber piece to cover the sharp end of the wire so you don't poke yourself. A little more patchin and paintin and #5 will be back in the water. Thanks all for the help.

Attachments

• photo239736.jpg
    photo239736.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 1

GA_Boater

So the cables were exact replacement. That's good.

And the cable didn't poke you in the eye. That's good too.

Finish up the few things left and get on the water. :D

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Jim the cables you showed are the exact same cables I use with my Johnson Sea Horse control. In fact I have the exact same control box as well. And I don't know if you know, but they do come apart at both ends. So if you need to change ends, it is possible you can remove one from the old cable and use it on the new cable. :noidea: