Fast idle lever not working

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
The fast idle lever does not do anything. The idle stays the same no matter what position the lever is in. I guess it is possible that the lever nut is loose. There are 2 screws on the outside. Would just removing those screws give me access to the inside to inspect where the idle lever attaches?

DSCF0002_zpsjn90hos1.jpg

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
There is a small plastic cam inside that pushes the throttle cable forward a little when the idle lever is raised. When there are issues with the idle advance you will usually find a problem with this plastic piece, either the cam roller breaks off or the track the cable rides in breaks off or out.

Look at one of the parts blow ups and get a good idea of how this comes apart before you open the case, if you are not real good with small parts working together get someone to do this job for you. It is easy to get these apart and not get them back right.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
There is a small plastic cam inside that pushes the throttle cable forward a little when the idle lever is raised. When there are issues with the idle advance you will usually find a problem with this plastic piece, either the cam roller breaks off or the track the cable rides in breaks off or out.

Look at one of the parts blow ups and get a good idea of how this comes apart before you open the case, if you are not real good with small parts working together get someone to do this job for you. It is easy to get these apart and not get them back right.

I did a search for 2000 OMC shifter/control box, etc diagram and came up empty. Any clue where to search for the diagram? BRP lists all engine parts but not shifter control box.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Ok... I found the diagram. Sure are a lot of parts in there! Will look it over carefully and decide whether to tackle it myself or farm out the work.

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The screws you see there are to mount it, then there are 3 from the back side that allow you to split the 2 sides of the controller. There is a screw from the back side through the center of the handle to take it off. Go to one of the part sites and look at the blow up of your controller, it will show you a lot.

It's hard to post a parts site link because iboats sells parts and will not leave your link up.

I see you found a diagram, I missed your reply.

Last edited: