Replace original throttle control box on 1975 Merc I/O and move trim control to new control box

utskicat

Seaman Apprentice
Replace original throttle control box on 1975 Merc I/O and move trim control to new control box

I have a 1975 19' Fiberform Monterey skiboat with the original throttle control/remote box. Its got an V8 with MC-1 Mercruiser sterndrive. I actually like the look of it, but it's 40 years old, finicky and needs upgrading to something less fussy.

I've searched this channel to make sure this hasn't already been answered. I didn't find exactly what I was looking for but if I missed it, just reply with the thread link.

I've looked around and like the looks of the Mercruiser 4000 Gen II. According to some other threads, the shift and throttle cables are not compatible with even the Gen I of the same model. So I guess that means that there is no way my existing cables are compatible. Here lies my first question: If I get the new box and new cables, will there be any issue connecting the new cables to the steering lever on the transom? Or is this end of the cable universal?

I need to replace the trim limit and sender switches. The controls for the powered trim is currently the old style 3 round buttons mounted on the dash. I would like to get the new control box version with the integrated trim controls on the throttle handle. Is it simple to port the connectors from the the existing button panel to the new control box or should I just leave it as is?

Original throttle and trim buttons shown in attached pics.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• photo237910.jpg
    photo237910.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 0
  • photo237912.jpg
    photo237912.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
If I get the new box and new cables, will there be any issue connecting the new cables to the steering lever on the transom?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... The Controller has nothin' to do with steerin',....

The shift, 'n throttle cables should hook up just fine,....

"n Ya, the trim can be wired to the new controller,...

utskicat

Seaman Apprentice
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... The Controller has nothin' to do with steerin',....

"n Ya, the trim can be wired to the new controller,...

That's what I get for trying write a post at 4am in the morning. I have no idea what my brain was thinking. Obviously I meant throttle connection on engine. My bad.

So this is good news. One more question. I am going to replace the shift cable on the Merc leg with the new designed kit. Does the new shift cable run from the leg all the way to the control box or is there some sort of linkage that connects it?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Merc's always use a lower shift cable, the shift plate, 'n the forward shift cable,.....

The cables yer lookin' to replace, go from the controller, to the throttle linkage, 'n to the shift plate,....

utskicat

Seaman Apprentice
Ayuh,.... Merc's always use a lower shift cable, the shift plate, 'n the forward shift cable,.....

The cables yer lookin' to replace, go from the controller, to the throttle linkage, 'n to the shift plate,....

Bondo...thanks for all the replies the last few days on the several threads I have going. As you can tell, I'm new to boat mechanics, but hopefully a fast learner. Thanks for helping with my beginner questions!

To clarify your earlier comment about having no problem connecting the Merc 4000 Gen II cable's to the existing to the 1975 engine...I had previously sent in a product question to iBoats for the Gen II cables asking the same question. I got a reply this afternoon stating that the cable will only connect to engine 2003 and newer. They also say they do not know what a 4000 Gen II control box is. Not sure how they can correctly answer the question about the cables if they don't know what the cables are connecting to?! I am assuming that the expert is confused and is actually referring to the connection to the control box, not the engine. Since you said it shouldn't be a problem, I was curious your thoughts? I imagine the response I got from iBoats is just wrong?

iBoats Product: Gen II Control Cable, 10' - SeaStar Solutions

Q:
I have a 1975 19' Fiberform skiboat. It has a Mercruiser MC-1 I/O sterndrive. I want to upgrade to the 4000 Gen II control box. Will these new cables connect to my old sterndrive?

A:
This cable only works with 2003-date. So anything before 2003 will not install with the motor. The CC179 is the correct for Mercruiser and installs with those using engine manufacturer controls only. It will depend on the control box. Not sure what the 4000 Gen II control box is, so we would need part number to control box to verify exact cables.

A:
The Gen II cable is 2003 to current and will not work with the older sterndrive.

Last edited:

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... I ain't run into Gen.II cables, but my understandin' is, the controller end is different,....

I could well be wrong on that,...

You can still buy the old style,...

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
Pretty sure there are control cables available that have threaded ends and you buy the end you need and screw it on. Good for what you are describing I think.