quicksliver early 90's vintage, wont shift. . .

finalshot

Recruit
Hi, this is my first post. I'm on a trip and my shiftier just stopped working. The 40hp mercury starts, the throttle works, but when I put the throttle down, the shifter wont engage forward or reverse it feels like it's locked, but the red lever on the handle works, but when i engage it, the shift leaver wont go forward or back. The red lever works, I pull up on it, and push the handle forward, and it feels like it's completely locked, same with revers. it's acting like the controller thinks the engine idle lever is engaged, when it's clearly not. It's 19 degrees out and the entire unit worked last week. When I look at the cable attachment at the engine, while someone is moving the shiftier lever, there is no movement in the cables, again as if the box is not allowing the shifter to engage. The red lever on the shift handle is working, but the shifter wont go forward or back after the red level is engaged. The engine starts and runs fine and the idle leaver works too. . . The controller just acts like it's not allowing the shift handle to engage forward or reverse. The cables are not broken, it's something in the box. Electrical, or mechanical, any ideas? I really need some advise. I'm on a trip and the boat is critical to the success of this job i'm working to complete, without the boat, i'm sunk!

Last edited:

finalshot

Recruit
anyone with any thoughts? It's ten degrees outside, there's no boat place for miles that's willing to help . . .

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Pull the cover off the motor, 'n look to see whether the cable came unhooked or somethin',.....