Hydraulic Assist Evaluation

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer
I took off this unit off of my 1982 Wellcraft 248. I think the company no longer exist. Should I buy a new unit or are these reliable, will it be easy to maintain? New ones are pricey! Which new one would be a good coice - twin 150 2 strokes 25' modified v hull. I am replacing everything else except motors?

Attachments

• photo234564.jpg
    photo234564.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Hydraulic steering if maintained will last the life of the boat. Corrosion is what does them in as does most other steering systems. If your going to replace just get one from SeaStar

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
There are many boat's with them, and they are pretty reliable. The only issue I've seen is if there is a leak, the steering won't work at all. Only saw that happen once, but the owner reacted quickly, pulled out a bike pump and re-pressurized the air and went on his way. I highly suggested he get the unit serviced but he refused. After all it was not a oil leak, just the air valve. As with any system, If it leaks, it will fail. Seastar is a pretty good system also.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys. I've seen many negative reviews on seastar PA blowing fuses - don't know if they have addressed the issue, but at $1,400.00 it gives me pause. If I can get mine serviced, than I'll try that - it is old, but it hasn't been used much. I don't know if parts are available? I am definately going to replace the helm - hope I don't run into compatibility issues.
Thanks again - Happy Thanksgiving !

alldodge

Staff member
Thanks guys. I've seen many negative reviews on seastar PA blowing fuses - don't know if they have addressed the issue, but at $1,400.00 it gives me pause. If I can get mine serviced, than I'll try that - it is old, but it hasn't been used much. I don't know if parts are available? I am definately going to replace the helm - hope I don't run into compatibility issues.
Thanks again - Happy Thanksgiving !

Don't know how a seastar or any full hydraulic steering would blow fuses, they are filled with oil and as you turn the wheel it moves the ram. There is no electric in a full hydraulic steering system. The helm wheel is the pump, as it is turned it moves the ram(s). Now if an auto pilot is attached then there is electric.

Either way you should be able to fix yours

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer
If you look at the op AllDodge, it says hydraulic ASSIST, and the photo is of the same. Google "seastar blown fuse. " They have trouble with their HYDRAULIC ASSIST units blowing fuses.

I am trying to find out about the reliability of mine - if it is something I can service etc.

alldodge

Staff member
Sorry misunderstood your questions. Read replace, get it fixed, and replace everything. My thought was that you wanted to know how reliable the full hydraulic steering systems are, and which ones would be good.

Agree the assist ones have blown fuses, but the fix is seastar has replaced the fuse with a 50amp

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I would replace with a non powered hydraulic steering. Something else to fail at the most inopportune time.

R Socey

Chief Petty Officer
Hydraulic assist makes the steering easy, and it is recommended for that boat, that power; factory installed.